Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town is composed of what was formerly the western part of Mendon. It was set off and incorporated by an
act of the general court in June, 1727, and then received its present name. The Indian name was Wacantuck. It was
larger at first than at present, as the north part, in 1772, was set off and made a distinct town, the name of
A church was gathered here in 1731, (under the direction of Rev. Joseph Dorr, of Mendon,) of which Rev. Nathan
Webb was ordained pastor. He continued with the people 41 years, till his death, in 1772, and was succeeded by
Rev. Hezekiah Chapman, ordained in 1774. He was dismissed in 1781, and in 1783 Rev. Josian Spaulding succeeded,
who, continuing hut about 4 years, was succeeded by Rev. Samuel Thdson, who was ordained in 1792. Rev. Samuel Clarke
was installed pastor of the parish church in 1833. Rev. David A. Grosvenor, the pastor of the second church, was
settled in 1832. There is a Friendsí church in this town.
The above is a southern view of the central part of Uxbridge, taken from the residence of Rev. Mr. Grosvenor. The
Unitarian church, a gothic structure, appears in the central part; the other Congregational church is seen on the
left. Some of the buildings in Rogersonís village, nearly two miles from the center. are discerned in the extreme
distance. Population, 2,246. Distance, 18 miles from Worcester, and 38 from Boston.
This is a very pleasant and flourishing town ; the center is level and has a light soil; the surrounding hills
are moist, and better adapted to grazing and orchards. There are in the town a quarry of stone, easily wrought
and highly valuable, and an iron mine, from which much ore has been taken. Uxbridge enjoys important advantages
in being situated, for nearly its whole length, on the Blackstone river and canal, as well as from the water power
of West and Mumford rivers, which here join the Blackstone. In 1837 there were 3 cotton mills; 11,000 spindles;
936,000 yards of cotton goods were manufactured; value, $168,000; males employed, 130; females, 250; five woollen
mills; 13 sets of machinery; 295,000 yards of satinet were manufactured; value, $186,000; males employed, 62: females,
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.