Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was taken partly from Brookfield, and partly from Brimfleld and Palmer, in Hampden county. it was
incorporated in 1741, by the name of Western. In 1834 its name was changed to that of Warren, in memory of Gen.
Warren, who fell at Bunker Hill. The Congregational church was formed here in 1743, and the next year Rev. Isaac
Jones was ordained their first pastor. He died in 1784, and was succeeded by Rev. Stephen Baxter, who was ordained
in 1791. The succeeding ministers have been Sylvester Burt, settled in 1806; Munson C. Gaylord, in 1816; Oren Catlin,
in 1829; Charles Fitch, in 1832; and George Trask, in 1836. Warren is situated at the south-west angle of the county.
The land, though rather rough, is productive. The river Quaboag, from Brookfleld, enters this town from the north-east,
and, passing through it, goes out at the west angle, and falls into the Chicopee river. Coy’s hill, in the north
part of this town, affords abundance of granite, being here valuable for building stone. At the foot of the hill,
near the river, iron ore is found, and a mineral spring has been discovered, which has some visitants. The accompanying
view shows the appearance of the central part of the town as seen from the schoolhouse, on the Brookfield road.
The Congregational church s seen on the right; the Universalist is the building seen in the distance with a tower.
The railroad from Worcester to Springfield passes a few rods south of th2 hotel seen on the left of the engraving.
There are at present in the town 1 cotton, 2 woollen, and 1 scythe factories. Population, 1,196. Distance, 24 miles
westerly from Worcester, and 64 from Boston. In 1837, there were 45,000 palm-leaf hats manufactured; value, $5,850.
Value of woollen goods manufactured, $51,300; value of cotton goods, $8,000
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.