Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
THIS town was set off from Dudley and Oxford, and incorporated in 1832. it was named after the Hon. Daniel Webster.
The surface of the town is rather rough, and the soil is not as good as that of the adjoining towns. The outlet
of Char-gogg-a-goggman-chogg-a-gogg, a large pond in this town, three miles in length, affords fine water privileges.
The engraving shows a north eastern view of the central and principal village in Webster, as it is entered upon
the Boston road. One of the Slater cotton mills is seen on the left. Mr. Slater, who, it is stated, first introduced
the cotton manufacturing business into this country, lived the latter part of his life in this village; his house
is seen in the central part of the engraving, having 4 chimneys. The Methodist church and the center school house,
each with a spire, are seen in the back ground. The Baptist church is still farther westward. Population, 1,210.
Distance, 16 miles from Worcester, and 50 from Boston. In 1837, there were 3 cotton mills; 6,088 spindles; 1,155,535
yards of cotton goods were manufactured; value, $103,427; males employed, 62; females, 101. There were 2 woollen
mills, 6 sets of machinery; 60,000 yards of cloth were manufactured; value, $180,000; males employed, 50; females,
45. One thread mill; 42,000 lbs. of thread were manufactured; value, $26,000; males employed, 11; females, 19.
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
By John Warner Barber.
Published by Warren Lazell.