Historical Sketch of Westminister, MA
Source at bottom of page.

NAVIGATION

Massachusetts
Histories

Historical Sketches
Franklin County
Hampden County
Hampshire County
Middlesex County
Norfolk County
Worcester County

New York
Histories

Maine
Histories

History at
Rays Place

Also see [ Railway
Officials in America
1906
] NEW

Rays
Places

THIS town, with others, was granted by the general court to the soldiers who did service in the Narragansett or King Philip’s war, or to their heirs. It was styled Narragansett No 2. until its incorporation in 1769, when it was named Westminster. The proprietors of this town were chiefly inhabitants of Cambridge, Charlestown, Watertown, Weston, Sudbury, Newton, Medford, Malden, and Reading.

The first person who settled on the grant was Capt. Fairbanks Moor, who moved there with his family in March, 1737. In June following, Den. Joseph Holden moved his family into the place. These two families contained 15 persons. It being an exposed plantation, settlers moved in hut slowly. The proprietors erected a meeting. house in 1739. The Congregational church was formed, and Rev. Elisha Marsh ordained pastor, in 1742. He was dismissed in 1757, and the town had no minister from that time till 1765, when the Rev. Asaph Rice was settled. Previously Mr. Rice had been a missionary among the Indians. The next pastor, Rev. Cyrus Mann, was settled in 1815. This town being exposed to Indian assaults, the general court, in 1743, granted £400 to fortify the place, with which ten forts were erected, and soldiers stationed there for the defence of the plantation. In 1746, some of the people of the place were put under pay as a town scout. But although the people suffered many trials and hardships, it is believed that no person belonging to the town was ever cut off by the enemy.

This town is situated on the range of highlands which separate the waters of the Connecticut and Merrimac. The soil of the township is fertile, containing good grazing lands. There are three churches, 1 Congregational, 1 Universalist, and one Baptist. Population. 1,460. Distance, 26 miles from Worcester, and 50 from Boston. In 1837, there were 14 manufactories of chairs and cabinet ware; value of articles manufactured, $26,350; hands employed, 38. There were 8,400 straw bonnets manufactured; value, $15,675.


FROM:
Historical Collections Relateing to the
History and Antiquities of
Every town in Massachusetts with
Geographical Descriptions.
By John Warner Barber.
Worchester
Published by Warren Lazell.
1848

Counter