History of Addison, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Addison is situated on the southern sea-coast of Washington County, 18½ miles west by south-west of Machias. It is bounded on the north by Columbia, east by Jonesboro and Jonesport, west by Harrington and. south by the sea. Indian River separates it from the towns on the east, and Pleasant Bay and River from those on the west. Cape Split and Moose Neck from the southern points of the town, and between these is Cape Split Harbor. Moose and Sheep are the principal islands, the last lying at the south and the first at the mouth of Indian River, and near the village of that name.

The rock is chiefly granitic, and the soil loamy. There is a quarry of black granite, which is considerably wrought. Potatoes form the principal crop. Spruce is the most numerous forest tree. Elm and balm of gilead are found along the village streets or about the dwellings. The Addison Mineral Spring has a local reputation.

The villages are Addison at the north-west at the head of Pleasant River Bay, and Indian River on the eastern side. The Jonesport and Columbia stage line furnishes communication by land. Each village is about 11 miles from the landing of the Portland steamer at Millbridge. The manufactures are lumber, carriages, sails, etc. There are 2 shipyards. Vessels of 300 tons can load within 20 rods of the mills.

Addison was settled soon after the close of the Revolutionary War, and was organized as a plantation known as "Number Six west of Machias." It was incorporated as a town in 1796, being named in honor the elegant English writer, Joseph Addison.

There are Baptist, Methodist and Universalist churches at Addison village, and Baptist and Advent churches at Indian River. The town has 12 public schoolhouses, which, with other school property, are valued at $1,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $263,457, in 1880, it was $278,978. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 21 mills. The population in 1870 was 1,201. In 1880, it was 1,239. This town was the birth-place of Hon. Wm. J. Corthell, formerly State superintendent of schools, and recently principal of the Gorham Normal School.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York