History of Albany, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Albany is situated in the western part of Oxford County south of the Androscoggin river. Greenwood bounds it on the northeast, Mason and Stoneham on the south-west, Mason and Bethel on the north-west, and Waterford and Norway on the south-east. Its size is about 7½ by 10 miles. The northern half of the western border is occupied by the "Albany Mountains" of which the chief is Bear Mountain. The middle portion of the eastern side is occupied by a group of seven or more mountains, bearing the names of Lawrence, Long, Round, etc., of which the last is the highest, having an altitude of about 500 feet. At the north-eastern corner is another lofty hill and half way to the center of the town is another. Flint's Mountain stands in the middle of the southern part of the town, flanked by two others in a line to the north-east. Somewhat to the west of the middle line of the town, running through its length from north to south, six hills succeed one another at nearly equal distances. Birch Hill is the most southern, while the forth-Square Doch-stands about midway of the line. Through the broad valley south of this, Crooked River sweeps westward, forming a semi-circle about the two southern hills. West of Square Doch comes down a tributary to Crooked River, on which are the noted "Albany Basins." These consist of deep cavities worn by the eddying current of the water in the taloose rock forming the bed of the stream. One of these basins, embracing the entire width of the stream, is not less than 70 feet deep.

Songo Pond, having an area of about 1 square mile, lies in the northern part of the town, forming the source of Crooked River. This stream takes a general southern course through the town, and discharges its waters into Sebago Lake. Other ponds are Furlong's, at the south-eastern corner, Hutchinson, a little west of the last, Chalk Pond, near Chalk Hill, Little Pappoose Pond, near the western border, and Broken Bridge Pond, north of Square Doch, and several smaller ones. About a mile north of this pond is an extensive ledge of pure quartz.

Albany post office and the factories at the south-west corner of the town are the centers of business. The manufactures consist of lumber, shingles, staves, boxes, spools, boots and shoes. Albany post office is about 8 miles south of Bethel Hill, on the Grand Trunk Railway, which is the nearest railway station. The soil of the town is of fair quality. The principal crop for the market is hay.

Albany was settled soon after the Revolution, being known for some tune as the Plantation of Oxford. It was incorporated in 1803 This town is the birth-place of Rev. Asa Cummings, D. D., for many years the able editor of the "Christian Mirror," the organ of the Congregationalists in Name. The churches of the town are a Congregationalist and a Methodist. Albany has ten public schoolhouses, valued together with other school property at $2,500. The valuation in 1870 was $167,592. In 1880 it was $139,029. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2 per centum. The population in 1870 was 651. In 1880 it was 693.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York