History of Albion, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Albion, situated in the north-eastern part of Kennebec County, is bounded on the east by Freedom, in Waldo County; on the north by the town of Unity and by Unity Plantation—the former in Waldo and the latter in Kennebec County; on the west by Benton and Winslow; and on the south by China, in Kennebec County, and by Palermo, in Waldo County. The town is about six miles square. The prevailing rock is granite. The soil in the westerly part is clay loam, free from stones, and quite easily cultivated; and all parts are productive. The principal crop is hay. The southern portion of the town is much broken by hills, and is well suited to wheat; Lovejoy’s Pond— a mile and one-half long and a mile wide—is the principal body of water. The outlet to this, which empties into Fifteen Mile River, furnishes power for a saw-mill. On Fifteen Mile River, which runs northwardly through the town, are two or more powers in the southern part utilized for saw-mills. In the northern part is a tannery.

The principal settlements are at Albion Corner and South Albion, each of which has a post-office. The town is about 27 miles north-east of Augusta, and 44 south-west of Bangor. It is on the stage-line from Fairfield to Belfast. There are two railroad stations at a distance of 7 and 10 miles, respectively.

The first organization of this place was the plantation of Freetown in 1802. In 1804 it was organized as a town called Fairfax, which was afterwards changed to Lygonia, and lastly, in 1824, to Albion. The township was first settled sometime prior to 1690, at which date it contained 6 families. Many of the early settlers were from York County,—among whom were the Shoreys, Prays and Libbeys. Hon. Artemus Libbey, one of the associate justices of the Supreme Judicial Court of Maine, is a native of this town. Albion sent 100 soldiers into the army during the war of the Rehellion,—of whom 45 were lost. The churches in town are the Christian Disciples, Adventist, and Universalist. Albion has a high school, and its public school-houses are valued at $3,000. The valuation of estate in 1870 was $376,791. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 16 mills on one dollar. The population in 1870 was 1,356. In 1880 it had fallen off to 1,193.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York