Alexander is situated nearly midway of the eastern
part of Washington County. Baileyville and Baring bound it on the east, Crawford on the west, Princeton on the
north, and Cooper and Meddybemps on the south. The surface is uneven, but there is a variety of good farming land.
Agriculture is the almost exclusive dependence of the inhabitants. The principal crop for export is hay. The nearest
seaport is Calais, 14 miles eastward; Machias 30 miles distant, is the nearest on the south. The nearest railroad
station is at Baring, 10 miles distant.
The Wapskanegan is the principal stream, running north-east from the west and centre of the town. The sheets of
water are Lake Beautiful, in the western part of the town; Burrows, at the south-western corner; Shining lake,
lying on the northern, and Meddybemps Lake, on the eastern border. Lake Beautiful has an area of about 500 acres,
and furnishes power for a saw and shingle mill about half the year.
Alexander was first settled about 1810. Among the first who made the place their home were Solomon Perkins, Caleb
Pike, George Hill, A. Bohanan, William D. Crockett, Paul Morse, Cyrus Young and Samuel Cottel. The early settlers
were mostly from Massachusetts and New Hampshire. The titles to their lands were obtained from Colonel John Black,
agent for the Binghams. The town was incorporated in 1835, and may have received its name in honor of Alexander
Baring, a son-in law of Williain Bingham. He was about this time made Lord Ashburton; and it was he who, as British
Ambassador, settled-together with the American Secretary of State, Daniel Webster-our north-eastern boundary. In
this town are two small villages-Lanesbrook and Alexander. There is a church edifice of the Methodists only at
present. Alexander has five public school-houses, which, with other school property, are valued at $1,500. The
valuation of the town in 1870 was $73,997. In 1880 it was $71,085. The population in 1870 was 456. In 1880 it was