History of Anson, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Anson is situated about midway of the western side of Somerset County. Madison bounds it on the east, Embden and New Portland on the north, Starks on the south, and Industry and New Vineyard, in Franklin County, on the West. The Kennebec river separates it from Madison, and the Carabasset River passing through the northeast corner of the town forms a junction with the Kenebec at North Anson village. Carabasset Falls and Rapids at this place afford several interesting views. The strong whirling currents near the bridge at the village have worn the slatey rocks into many peculiar forms, and the scene is very striking to the stranger. This village, being the northern terminus of the Somerset Railroad, is the centre of business for a wide extent of country, and is, therefore, very thriving. It is about 33 miles from Waterville and 100 from Portland by railroad. The manufactories of the town are clustered at this point. They consist of boots, shoes, leather, bricks, lumber, flour, wool rolls, etc. The are two saw mills, and three boot and shoe manufactories. The most extensive manufacturer is S. Bunker. The company doing the most business is Carrabasset Mills. On the Kennebec in the southern part of the town is Anson Village. it is opposite Madison Village on the eastern side of the river, and is connected there with by an excellent bridge.

The surface of the town is moderately level, but broken by high hills in the central and western part, known as Lane, Gamage and Collins hills. There is much rich alluvial soil in the town. Agriculture is the chief occupation of the inhabitants, and is profitably followed.

Settlements were made here at about the same time as at Norridgewock; adventurers pushing up the river in order to take possession of the rich alluvial lands on the banks of the Kennebec. When surveyed, Anson was found to be outside the limits of the Plymouth patent, and it was accordingly called Township Number 1, west of the Kennebec river, north of the Plymouth patent. It was incorporated in 1798 under its present name. In 1845 it was divided, and North Anson incorporated out of it; but a re-union of the parts took place in 1855.

North Anson has in the "Union Advocate" a valuable local and county paper. It is issued every Wednesday by Albert Moore & Son. Its politics are democratic. The Congregationalists, Free Baptists, Methodists and Universalists each have churches in Anson. The town has twenty-one public schoolhouses; the total school property being valued at $3,500. Anson Academy, located at North Anson Village, is a well-established and thriving institution. Many able and successful business and professional men have received here a large part of their education. The valuation of the town in 1870 was $554,407. In 1880, it was $585,080. The population in 1870 was 1,745. In 1880, it was 1,557.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York