Appleton is the most northern town in Knox County.
It is bounded on the south-east by Hope, on the south-west by Union, on the northwest by Liberty, in Waldo County,
and north-east by Searsmont in that county. The Medomac and St. George’s rivers run through the town. Sennebec
Pond is the principal body of water, being two niiles in length and one in width. Appleton Ridge—which has a height
of about 300 feet—is the greatest elevation The ledges are generally of a brittle, gray rock. The soil on the uplands
is generally rocky, and clayey in the valleys. Hemlock, spruce, beech and maple form the mass of the woods. The
principal crops are corn, potatoes, wheat, oats and hay. Medoinac River drains the western part and St. George’s
the eastern part of the town.
At Appleton village are a grist mill, a lumber and stave mill, factories for the manufacture of carriages, hand-rakes,
cultivators, leather, boots and shoes, etc. Some lime is produced for export at this place. At North Appleton are
a lumber mill, lime quarry, etc. At North Union P. 0. is a lumber mill. The Appleton Mining and Smelting Company
is an enterprise of this town.
The inhabitants are generally thrifty, and most of the buildings are in good repair. In the village some of the
streets are pleasantly shaded with trees; many of the elms being upward of forty years of age. The climate is salubrious,
and the town boasts a number of inhabitants upwards of ninety years of age. The longest bridge in the town is about
120 feet in length. It is of wood, with stone abutments. The principal public entertainments are Temperance Reform
Club meetings. These, when supplemented by some literary exercises, become more generally useful and improving;
and the increased variety sustains the interest for many seasons in succession.
The Methodist and Baptists each have a church edifice in town. Appleton has ten public schoolhouses, which, together
with other school property, are valued at $4,950. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $284,278. In 1880 it was
$320,664. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 2½ per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,485; in 1880 it was