History of Monticello, Moss Plantation & Presque Isle, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Monticello

Monticello lies on the eastern border of Aroostook County, 12 miles north of Houlton, on the stage-line to upper Aroostook. It is bounded on the north by Bridgewater, south by Littleton, west by an unnamed township, and east by Wilmot, in New Brunswick. The north branch of the Med uxnekeag runs south-eastward through the midst of the town, receiving numerous short branches from the north. em side. Wallace Lake, in the northern part of the town, is the largest sheet of water, having an area of 30 acres. The surface of the country is somewhat rolling, but without hills. The rocks are limestone and granite. The soil is very good, yielding excellent crops. Hay, oats and potatoes are chiefly cultivated. Monticello Village is situated upon the Meduxnekeag North Branch, a little south of the centre of town. There are here a saw-mill for long and short lumber, a starchfactory, and other manufactures common to villages. The nearest railroad station is at Houlton. The roads are generally very good. A bridge across the river at the village is 200 feet in length. It is constructed of spruce and cedar, with stone abutments.

Monticello was incorporated July 29, 1846, having previously borne the name of Wellington Township. Among its valued citizens have been General Wellington, John Pond, Samuel Stackpole, and Peter Lowell. The Methodists have a church here, and sustain worship and preaching. The number of public schoolhouses is seven. The value of these, with land, is $750. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $138,585. In 1880 it was $149,273. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 15 mills on the dollar. The popMossPlantationulation in 1870 was 760. In 1880 it was 965.


Moss Plantation

Moss Plantation lies on the south-western border of Aroostook County, 24 miles west of Houlton. It is on the stageline from Patten to Ashland. Merrill Plantation bounds it on the east, Hersey on the south, and Penobscot County on the west. The surface is quite broken and hilly. The highest elevation is called Matawamkeag Hill. Pichet Mountain, on the south-western boundary, also has considerable height. Rockaberna Lake, lying a little northwest of the centre of the town, is the source of the West Branch of the Mattawamkeag River. Its superficial area is 2½ square miles. There are at least 13 other ponds, large and small, in the township. The streams are the west branch of the Mattawamkeag, which winds through the town, receiving on its way the outlets of the several ponds, together with Upper and Lower Hasting's Brook, Mill Brook and others. A saw-mill making long and short lumber, a clapboard and a grist-mill, and a carriage-factory, constitute the manufactures of the plantation.

The first settlements here were made in 1837, by Messrs. Lewis, Bradford and Brown. In 1850 a plantation was organized under the name Rockabema, which was changed to the present one in 1860. There is a Methodist society in the plantation, which has regular meetings and stated preaching. Muro has a good schoolhouse, and its school property is valued at $500. There are seven lots in the township reserved for public uses. The valuation of estates in 1880 was $46,693. The rate of taxation was 1½ cents on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 107. In 1880 it was 171.


Presque Isle

Presque Isle lies in the second range of townships in Aroostook County, a few miles south of Aroostook River. It is bounded on the north by Maysville, south by Westfield Plantation, east by Easton, and west by Chapman and Mapleton plantations. The Presque isle Stream enters on the west side of the town and leaves it on the north. Presque Isle Village, the principal centre of business, is situated on the stream near the northern line. In the southern part, a little west of a middle line, in Quaggy Joe Lake, one mile in length, having Arnold Brook as an outlet. On this, near the pond, is the small village of Spragueville. South by south-west of the village is the four-peaked "Green Mountain," lying in a true north and south line. The middle of the town generally is elevated, and there are still extensive forests in the western, southern and eastern parts. There is a lumber and a cabinet mill at Spragueville, and at Presque Isle Village are two lumber-mills, a grist-mill, a. wool-carding mill, furniture, carriage, tinware factories, and other small manufactures. This town is 42 miles north by north-west of Houlton, on the stage-line to Caribou. It is also the terminus of stage-lines to Ashland, Washburn and Fort Fairfield. At the village is published "The North Star," a lively sheet, at present Greenback in politics. The publishers are F. G. Parker & Co.

This town was incorporated April 4, 1859. It has a good high school in Presque Isle Village, and its schoolhouses number nine, and are valued at $3,000. The population in 1870 was 970. In 1880 it was 1,305. The valuation in 1870 was $180,786. In 1880 it was $339,325.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York