History of Mcchwahoc Plantation, Madawaska, Mars Hill & Maysville , Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Machwahoc Plantation

Machwahoc Plantation is a half township lying on the southern border of the eastern part of Aroostook County. It is 45 miles S.S.E. of Houlton, on the military road from Bangor to that town, and 6½ miles north of the European and North American Railway station at Kingman. Molunkus Plantation bounds it on the west, and Reed Plantation on the east. The Molunkus and Machwahoc streams enter on the northern side and unite near the midst of the plantation. Molunkus Lake, having its outlet in Molunkus Stream, lies upon the north-western border. Farming and lumbering are the chief occupations. The settlements are principally within the angle at the junction of the two streams.

This plantation was formerly No. 1 of Range 4. It was settled in 1835, and organized as a plantation December 16, 1851. There is a public schoolhouse valued with land at $300. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $41,7O7. In 1880 it was $25,917. The population in 1870 was 170. In 1880 it was 187.

Madawaska

Madawaska lies in tne extreme northern curve of the St. John River, at the north-eastern extremity of Aroostook County. It is 100 miles from Houlton, and is on the stage-line from Van Buren to Fort Kent. The New Brunswick Railway has a station at Edniunton on the opposite side of the St. John. It is bounded on the east by Grand Isle, and on the west by Frencliville. The larger part of Long Lake lies in the southern part, and the St. John separates it from Canada on the north. The surface is without high hills and the soil is quite fertile. Wheat and other grains are largely cultivated. On the northern side of the twon two of the streams emptying into the St. John are occupied by grist-mills.

This town was largely settled by those French, or their descendants, who fled from about the Basin of Minas in 1754 to escape transportation and separation from each other by the English authorities in America. The town was incorporated February 24, 1869, and named for the river Madawaska, which enters the St. John on the opposite side of its stream. The inhabitants are mostly Roman Catholic, and sustain two priests. There are four public schoolhouses valued at $440. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $65,155. In 1880 it was $90,174. The population in 1870 was 1,041. In 1880 it was 1,391.

Mars Hill

Mars Hill lies on the eastern border of Aroostook County, 80 miles north of Houlton, on the stage-line to Fort Fairfield. It is bounded on the north by Easton, south by Blaine, west by Westfield Plantation, and east by Wicklow, in New Brunswick. In the eastern part is an isolated mountain called Mars Hill, the elevation from which the town takes its name. This was a noted landmark in running the boundary line between the United States and the dominion of Great Britain, which was the subject of such long and troublesome disputes. It is a long elevation of regular outline, having a peak at each extremity,-its greatest extension being north and south, parallel to the State boundary line less than a mile eastward of its base. Its ascent commences with an easy swell of half a mile in width, and then abruptly increases toward the summit, in some places to analmost perpendicular steepness. Its top is narrow, and divided by a hollow near the middle. In settling upon the boundary line between the United States and the dominions of Great Britain, the commissioners undcr the treaty of Ghent caused trees to be felled and a spot cleared on each of the peaks; and their astronomers and surveyors ascertained that the south peak was 1,519 feet, and the north one, 1,370 feet above the tide waters of the St. Lawrence. The western part of the town is drained by Presque Isle Stream and its branches. The north-eastern part is drained by the small stream of the River Gasquill, and the south-eastern, by Young Brook. The manufactories consist of two saw-mills for long and short lumber, two starch factories, etc.

Maysville

Maysville is an exclusively agricultural town lying on the Aroostook River, in Aroostook County, having Fort Fairfield between it and New Brunswick. Caribou bounds it on the north, Presque Isle on the south, and Mapleton and Washburn on the west. The surface of the town is somewhat rolling, but without high elevations, May Hill being the highest. The Aroostook comes in at the west and leaves on the northern border making a. complete oxbow about the centre of the town. At its exit it receives Hardwood Creek, which comes in at the west along the northern line; and at the south-west Presque Isle River joins it from southward. In the western part of the town, the Aroos took flows around many islands. Maysville has one or two small sawmills and a starch-factory. The factory is of 727 tons capacity, and consumes 140,000 bushels of potatoes in a single season.

The underlying rock in this town is limestone, found everywhere, either outcropping or under the surface, but seldom more than 20 feet below. The soil, as might be supposed, is quite calcareous. Potatoes are the leading money crop. Hay, wheat and oats are also largely raised, and, like the first, yield well. The forests contains a great variety of trees.

The town is 42 miles N.N.W. of Houlton, on the stage-route to Caribou. The latter is 7 miles distant, and furnishes the nearest railroad station. Presque Isle Village, lying near the south line of Maysyule, is the centre of business for the latter town. Maysville was incorporated, April 4, 1859. The town-hall is a large, two-story wooden building nearly new, with a school-room below. In the spring of 1880, near 500 trees, mostly of rock maples, were set out along the highways by members of Maysville Grange. The people take pride in the excellent roads of the town. A bridge across the Aroostook here is 420 feet in length.

The town has 12 schoolhouses, all in good condition. The value of school property is $3,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $140,057. In 1880 it was $224,288. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 16 mills on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 758. In 1880 it was 1,141.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York