History of Baldwin, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886



Baldwin is situated on the south-western shore of Lake Sebago, and constitutes the south-western corner of Cumberland County. The town of Sebago bounds it on the north, Standish on the east and south-east; Hiram, in Oxford County, on the west; and Cornish and Limington, in York County, on the south. The Saco river, in a curving line, forms almost the entire western, south-western and southern boundary-line. Saddle-back Mountain is the principal eminence, being about 2,000 feet in height. It affords fine views of Sebago Lake, its islands, and distant shores, with other ponds and mountains. Upon it is a striking precipitous rock, 300 or 400 feet in perpendicular height. The surface of the town is considerably broken, but the soil is favorable to the growth of grass and grain. Much attention is paid to the cultivation of fruit. At East Baldwin there has recently been put in operation a factory for drying apples. There is also a corn factory at this place which does considerable business. The stock-farm of Colonel Mattocks is an establishment of much value to the town, and of interest to visitors.

Baldwin has several small bodies of water, none exceeding half a square mile in extent. The largest are Sand, Ingalls and Half-Moon ponds. Quaker, Dug Hill and Break Neck brooks, respectively at the southern, middle and northern parts of the town, next Saco, furnish power for one or more board, stave and shook mills, each; and there is a fine power on the Saco, called “Highland Fall,” at about the middle of the north line of Limington adjoining. West Baldwin and, at the south, Baldwin Corner, are the principal villages. Along near the Saco river, for the whole length of the town, runs the Portland and Ogdensburg railway. At Baldwin Station this connects with stages for Cornish, Kezer Falls, Porter and Freedom—the latter in New Hampshire. At East Baldwin there is a flag station, and at West Baldwin is a telegraph office.

The township of Baldwin, together with that of Sebago, was granted in 1774 to the survivors of Captain Flint’s company, of Concord, Mass. The town was incorporated in 1802, being named in honor of Loammi Baldwin, one of the early settlers. It had previously been called Flintstown, for the leader of the company before mentioned. Something was done for the establishment of religion and education as early as 1800, but religions meetings were not frequent or permanent until some twenty-four years later, when Rev. Noah Emerson was settled as pastor of the Congregational Church. At the same time, the Methodists formed themselves into a society, and claimed a, part of the ministerial fund of the town, but the court decided adversely to them. Each of these denominations, also the Baptist, has its church edifice—the Congregationalists at East Baldwin, and the Methodist at West Baldwin. The town has twelve public schoolhouses, valued at $2,700. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $256,225. In 1880 it was $312,101. The rate of taxation in 1880 was about 1½ per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,101. By the census in 1880 it was 1,123.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York