History of Bremen, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Bremen is situated a little south of the centre of Lincoln County, on the western side of Muscongus Bay. On the north is Waldoboro, on the west Damariscotta, and on the west and south, the town of Bristol. Bremen is 5 miles in length by 3 in breadth. Pemaquid and Biscay ponds lie on its western line, separating it from Damariscotta. Broad Bay in the north-east and Greenland Cove on the south-east are the harbors and at the heads of these are the principal settlements. Muscongus Pond, in the southern part, and MeCurdy’s, in the western part of the town, are the principal sheets of water. The surface of the town is uneven. Granite is the rock that appears in view. The soil is clay and sandy loam. The principal crop is potatoes. On the outlet of Muscongus Pond is a saw, shingle and grist mill. There are two porgy-oil factories. The occupation of the inhabitants is principally fishing and farming. Bremen is 16 miles east of Wiscasset. The nearest railroad stations are at Waldoboro and Damariscotta.

The territory of Bremen originally belonged to the Pemaquid Patent. It was once a part of Bristol, but was set off and incorporated in 1828. William Hilton, from Plymouth, Mass., was the first settler, having moved in with his family, consisting of four sons and three daughters, in 1735. He was, however, soon driven away by the Indians; but at the close of the war in 1745, he returned. Being an heir by marriage of the Brown claim, he took possession of a lot on that claim; and on this he resided until the last Indian war broke out (1754), when he removed his family to the block-house at Muscongus Harbor. Though this was 5 miles from his home, he still continued his labors upon the farm. In May, 1755, while he and his three sons, William, Richard and John, were landing from a boat, they were fired upon by the Indians, who were in ambush. William was killed outright, the father and Richard were severely wounded, the first mortally; but John, the youngest, (about seventeen years of age) was unharmed, and returning the fire, killed one of the Indians. Then assisting his father and Richard into the boat, he returned with them to the block-house. Commodore Samuel Tucker, of Revolutionary memory, was a resident of this town, spending here the later years of his life. During the Rebellion Breinen furnished the Union cause with 27 men, of whom 12 were lost. Mrs. Mercy Studley, a resident of this town was, in 1880, one hundred and two years of age,—one hundred and six, she herself says.

Bremen has a Methodist and a Congregational church. There are nine public schoolhouses in the town, and the total school property is valued at $5,600. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $162,437. In 1880, it was $190,387. The rate of taxation in 1880 was sixteen and one-half mills on a dollar. The population in 1870 was 797. In 1880 it was 839.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York