History of Brooklin, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Brooklin is the most southerly part of the mainland of Hancock County, being also near the western side. Sedgewick bounds it on the north-west, from which it extends south-eastward into the sea, and north-eastward toward Bluehill Bay. It is 26 miles from Ellsworth and 50 from Bangor. The town has good harbors. In 1856, a lighthouse was erected on Flye's Ledges, but it does not now appear in the list of the national lighthouses. The town is rather rugged in its appearance, and its rocks show evidence of a paying deposit of phosphate of lime. The soil is gravelly, but strong and productive, and the inhabitants are giving more attention to agriculture than formerly. Hay is the principal crop ; and porgy churn has been largely used for dressing the land. There was formerly a large porgy business, but little is done in it at present Smoked herring are produced in considerable quantities; there is a lobster-canning factors, a barrel-factory, and the manufacture of boots and shoes is also quite a business. The first permanent settler of Brooklin was a Mr. Black. his daughter Elizabeth, the first child born in the town, lived to the age of one hundred and two years. In 1688, there were two families at Naskeag, Charles St. Robins and La Flour. Naskeag Point is frequently mentioned in documentary history, and there are said to be “signs” of its occupation at a time and by a people now unknown. The territory of Brooklin was set off from Sedgwick, and incorporated in 1849 under the name of Fort Watson. One month later its name was changed to Brooklin.

There are in the town nine stores of general goods, one of fancy, and one of millinery goods. The town-hall is a large building of three stories, crowned with a mansard roof. The Baptists have a very good church edifice, that is much frequented. Brooklin has nine public schoolhouses, valued at $4,500. The valuation of estate in 1870 was $186,899. In 1880 it was $177,534. The rate of taxation in 1880 was $14.50 on $1,000. The population in 1870 was 966. In 1880 it was 977.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York