History of Brooksville, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Brooksville. the most south-westerly town of Hancock County, is bounded on all sides by Penobscot Bay and its connected waters, except on the south-east where it joins Sedgewick,-being almost an islanel. The next towns to the northward are Castine and Penobscot, and on the east, Bluehill. The south-western projection bears the name of Cape Rozier, in honor of James Rozier, the companion of Weymouth in his voyage to the coast in 1805, and the historian of that voyage. The Indian name of this cape was Mose-ka-chick, signifying a moose's rump. Mr. A. W. Longfellow, of the Coast Survey, gives this legend respecting the locality. In very early times, as an Indian was pursuing a moose over the peninsula upon which Castine is situated, it came to the shore, and leaping in, swam toward the opposite side of the harbor. The dogs were unable to follow the game, but the hunter himself followed in a canoe, and succeeded in killing it upon the shore. On his return, he scattered the entrails of the animal upon the water, where they may be seen even to this day, in the shape of certain rocks strung along at intervals.

The waters of Castine Harbor and North Bay wash its shores on the north, and Bagaduce River, running northward from its ponds in Sedgewick, forms the boundary line on the east. The town is 22 miles south-west from Ellsworth, and 40 miles south of Bangor. The Deer Isle and Bucksport stage-line passes through it. The principal elevations of laud are Perkin's and Kench's Mountains and Wasson's and Clapboard hills. Perkin's Mountain is said to abound in minerals, yielding also alum and copperas. It is said that seventy or eighty years ago some mineral resembling coal was taken from its bed iiear the foot of the mountain and tested in a blacksmith's forge. At the foot of the mountain on the western declivity is a chalybeate spring. The granite quarry at the foot of Kench's Mountain affords a fine quality of stone. In 1875, about $26,O0O worth of worked stone were shipped from this quarry. The "Devil's Track," a peculiar formation in the solid granite of this mountain, and the clam shells lying high upon Dodge's and Haney's points, and the mound on Henry's farm, afford themes for the curious. Walker's Pond is said to be a sheet of enchanting loveliness. It is also one of the best alewive fish pastures in the country. Parker's and Smith's ponds are also attractive sheets.

A large proportion of the male population of the town are engaged in coasting and the fisheries. There is a porgy-oil factory at Buck's Harbor; and in other parts of the town are two saw, two shingle, two grist-mills and a planing-mill, and one wool-carding, cloth and yarn- factory. The soil of the town is chiefly clay loam, and the principal crops are wheat and potatoes.

Brooksville was formed from parts of Castine, Penobscot and Sedgewick, having been set off and incorporated in 1817. It took from Sedgewick an eighth, and from Castine and Penobscot each a fifth of their taxable property. It was named in honor of Governor Brooks, of Massachusetts. Its history is largely included in that of Castine and of Penobscot. James Rozier was the first explorer, and 1605 was the year of his visit. The first settlers were John and Samuel Wasson and David Hawes, Revolutionary soldiers. They found three squatters already in possession, a Mr. Roax, Eben Leland and Arch Haney. About 1780, William Roax and Elisha Blake settled upon the cape. The first white child born within the present town limits was Mary Grindle, May, 1765. Upon Henry's Point and near Oliver Bakerman's, the British, in 1779, erected six-gun batteries. Both have been nearly obliterated by time. The first corporate meeting was held in John Bray's house. Col. John Hawes, Col. David Walker, John R. Redman and David Wasson, esqs. were eminent citizens.

The Methodists, Congregationalists and Baptists each have a church edifice. Brooksville has nine public schoolhouses, valued at $5,000. The town valuation in 1870 was $238,987. In 1880 it was $207,443. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 2 per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,275. In 1880 it was 1,419.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York