History of Burlington, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Burlington is situated in the eastern part of Penobscot County, 45 miles north-east of Bangor. It is bounded on the north by Lincoln, west by Lowell, and on other skies by unnamed townships. It embraces an area of about 48 square miles. The bodies of water are Madagascal, Suponic, Eskutassis and Little Eskutassis ponds, all of which are head-waters of the Passadumkeng, The two latter lie on and near the western border, the second in the southern part, and the first in the north-eastern. The three first have an area of about two square miles each. The principal streams are the Passadumkeag, which crosses the south-westerly corner of the town and empties into the Penobscot, and the Mad agascal Stream, tributary to the first. Sunday Hill, which has an altitude of nearly 2,000 feet above the sea, is the highest elevation of land. The bed rock is mostly granite. The soil is loam and loamy gravel, and yields good crops of hay. Much of the town is still covered with forest, consisting principally of maple, birch, beech, pine and spruce.

Burlington is on the stage line from Enfield, on the European and North American Railway. The extension of the St. Croix and Penobscot Railroad is expected to pass through the town. The church edifice is used by the different societies in common. Burlington has seven public schoolhouses, and the school property is set at a high figure in the school reports. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $91,507. In 1880 it was $89,041. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 17 mills on a dollar. The population in 1870 was 553. In 1880 it was 536.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York