History of Byron, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Byron is situated on the north-eastern side of Oxford County, forming an angle projecting into Franklin. On the south of it is Roxbury, on the west Andover; other townships surrounding are unorganized. In dimensions it is about 8 miles long by 6 wide. Swift River forms from its tributaries in the northern part, and runs southward through the east part of the town. The western part is largely drained by the numerous small streams that gather at the southern part in one stream, and empty into Ellis Pond. There are nine or ten mountains in the town; of which the double-peaked Mount Turk (local name Turk and Broad) is the highest, being nearly 3,000 feet. Other names are Whale’s Back, Pleasant Mountain, Durham Hill and Hedge. hog Hill. Garland, or Little Ellis Pond, lies west of Mount Turk and Broad, and just beside the centre of the town. A portion of Ellis’ Pond lies in the town near the south—west corner

Byron Post-Office is located on Swift RIver, south-west of Whale’s Back Mountain. Above, on different powers, are two saw-mills. The nearest railroad is the Grand Trunk, with which it has connection by means of the stage from Andover to Bryant’s Pond Station, 26 miles distant by road. It is about equally distant from Jay Station, on the Maine Central Railroad, with which it Is connected by stage via Mexico. Byron is replete with wild scenery. The soil of the settled portion is quite good, yielding good crops of corn, potatoes, wheat, oats, etc. The forests of maple, birch, spruce and pine are still extensive.

The first settlers of this town were Samuel Knapp, Jonas Green, James Bawn, John Thomas, J. Stockbridge, Richard Morrill and Abraham Reed. The land was purchased by the settlers of a Mr. Brown of Newburyport, Mass. Skillertown is said to have been the Indian name.

Byron has three public schoolhouses, valued with land, at $500. The estates were valued in 1870 at $42,195. In 1880 they were set at $39,000. The population in 1870 was 242. In 1880 it was 191.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York