Historical Sketch of CANTON, Maine
From
Leading Business Men of
LEWISTON, AUGUSTA and VICINITY

BOSTON
MERCANTILE PUBLISHING COMPANY
1889




CANTON, the easternmost town of Oxford County, is one of the most beautiful and charming in all this attractive region. It is about six miles in length by nine broad, and. is divided into two sections by the Androscoggin river, which runs through in a nearly easterly direction. This together with Whitney Pond and Brook furnishes six good water-powers. This power can be developed to a very great extent, and the business prospect it affords is very promising. Especially near Whitney Pond, the fine water privileges have already established a considerable business inlerest, forming the commercial center of the region. Here are large saw, lumber, stave and grist mills, manufactories of carriages, zinc wash-boards, moldings, furniture, tanneries and foundries. The town is surrounded by the hills, which form a protection to the smooth plain in which it sets. The scenery is very beautiful, the soil fertile and the agricultural interests are considerable. At Canton Point, there was formerly a headquarters of the Indians in this vicinity, who named it Rokomeko. This tribe was entirely enterminated by small-pox during the French and Indian wars. As usual through the river-valleys of the. State, occasional reminiscenses of the former inhabitants are found in the shape of skeletons and implements of stone, for Rokomeko was the chief burying place of the tribe. The town was first settled by the English in 1790, Wm. Livermore, Wm. French, Joseph Coolidge, and Alexander Sheppard, being the pioneers who first established themselves here. The place was included in the tract known as Phipps' Canada. It grew quite rapidly, and was incorporated as a part of Jay in 1795. It was set off from Jay and incorporated as Cantoti in 1821. It took an honorable and devoted part in the Mexican and. Civil wars, the memories and traditions of the latter being most tenderly cherished. Most of its growth has been since the war of the Rebellion. Its population in 1870 was 984; valuation $895,998; population in 1880, 1,030; valuation, $367,693. Since the last census there has also been considerable advance and business expansion, and by 1890 it will have made large increase on the last census. Canton is twenty miles northeast of Paris, and sixty miles from Portland. It is situated at the terminus of the Rumford Falls & Buckfield Railroad. It is easily accessible and forms a most delightful summer residence, the surrounding. country furnishing every rural attraction and recreation. The rates of accoruodation are very low and the attractions are among the best. The town socially, educationally, and morally, is among the most advanced in the State, and is worthy of the pride which its citizens take in its condition. The business outlook is brightening every year as its unexcelled attractions become better known, and as this part of the State continues to develop, from the natural sequence of existing causes, Canton will go forward in the van; and guided by the same foresight and enterprise which has characterized its people in the past, will continue to maintain its enviable reputation.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York