Carmel has its location in the south-western part of
Penobscot County 14 miles west of Bangor. It is bounded by Stetson and Levant on the north, Herrnori on the east,
Etna on the west, and Newburgh on the South. It is square in form, and has an area of 23,040 acres. The surface
is undulating, and formerly bore a heavy growth of pine. The woodlands now contain the usual variety of trees.
The rock is chiefly schistose. The soil is a clay loam, and yields good crops when properly cultivated. Along the
streams is much fine alluvial land. Potatoes and hay are the principal crops.
In the north-west corner of the town is Parkerís Pond, a partially separated section of Etna and Carmel Pond. From
it flows the Sowadabscook Stream in a south-eastern course through the midst of town; thrnishing at Carmel Village,
in the centre of the town, a power occupied by lumber, grist and cloth mills. There are three other powers on this
stream; three upon the Ruggles Stream; four on the Kingsley Stream, which flows from the southern part of the town
to the centre; four on the Harvey Stream; and two on a branch of the Kenduskeag, at the north-eastern corner of
the town. In heavy rains the waters of the latter and Sowadabscook often mingle in the swamps, but flow off in
different directions. The manufactures, besides that of cloth, are boots and shoes, furniture, carriages and harnesses,
etc. There is a deposit of antimony in the town which has been partially developed. The Maine Central Railroad
passes through the town.
Carmel Village has a neat church, a good town-hall, and many tasteful residences. Some portions of the streets
are well laid out and beautifully shaded with elms, generally from thirty to fifty years old.
This township was purchased of Massachusetts in 1695 by Martin Kinsley, of Hampden. Paul and Abel Ruggles were
first settlers. The town was incorporated in 1811. There is a Union church-edifice at Carmel village. The societies
are the Methodist, Baptist, and Free Baptist. The public entertainments are chiefly temperance-rneetings. Carmel
has eleven public school-houses; and the total school property has a value of $3,000. The valuation of estates
in 1870 was $260,118. In 1880 it was $291,073. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 18 mills on the dollar.
The population in 1870 was 1,348. In 1880 it was 1,220.