History of Carthage, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Carthage is the south-western town of Franklin County. Its form is nearly that of a triangle having its acute angle to the west. It is bounded on the north by Weld, east by Perkin’s Plantation, Number Four, and Wilton, and south by Mexico and Dixfield, in Oxford County. Across the broad pine-covered plain in the northern and middle part, runs, in a tortuous course southward, Webb’s River, the outlet of Webb’s Pond. The eastern part of the town is hilly, but the soil in general is moderately good. There is much limestone in the town; and near the centre is a quarry which has been worked to some extent. Running nearly north and south in the eastern part of the town is a range of lofty hills, variously known as the Bear, Saddleback, or Blueberry. The principal village is Berry’s Mills, on Webb’s River, in the western part of the town. It is 29 miles south-west of Farmington, and is connected by stage-line with the Androscoggin Railroad at North Jay. There are here a gristmill and two lumber and box-mills.

Carthage was formerly Number Four, Abbott’s Purchase. Later, Dr. Perkins, of Farmington, became the proprietor of the unsold land. The first settlers were William Bowley and a Mr. Winter, the former of whom built what are called. “Bowley’s Mills” on Webb’s River. The town was lotted by Samuel Adams in 1803. There are two post-offices, South Carthage and Berry’s Mills. There are Baptist and Free Baptist societies in the town. Carthage has six public schoolhouses. valued with other school property, at $2,000 The valuation of estates in 1870 was $96,070. In 1880 it was $107,823 The population in 1870 was 486. In 1880 it was 507.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York