History of Charleston, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Charleston is situated on the south-western part of Penobscot County. It is 25 miles north-west of Bangor on a daily stageline. The nearest railroad station is at South Sebec, about 6 miles distant. The town occupies a place on the northern line of the county, being bounded on the north by Atkinson, in Piseataquis County. The other boundaries, Bradford on the east, Corinth on the south, and Garland on the west, are in Penobseot County. The territory is 6 miles square. The entire surface of the town has a considerable elevation above the sea, but is without high hills, or deep valleys. There are a few very small ponds, but numerous streams,-all running south-eastward. In the western part of the town several brooks unite and form the northern branch of the Kenduskeag; other streams form themselves into the west branch and the east branch of Pushaw Stream, each of which have one or more good water-powers, and all were formerly occupied by mills. Three powers are thus occupied at present by saw-mills. The other manufactures are those common in small villages. The principal occupation of the people is agricultural. There are many fine farms in the town, a large product being horses and domestic cattle. Charleston, a little north of the middle of the town, is a pleasant village, and the principal business centre. West Charleston is the other post-office. A little south of the centre of the town is a stream and pond, with a mill and a small collection of dwellings and a schoolhouse.

The township was granted by Massachusetts, July 14, 1802, to John Lowell. The settlement was commenced as early as 1795, by Charles Vaughan. It was incorporated February 16, 1811, as the town of Charleston. The first settled minister was Elder Henry Hale, of the Baptist denomination, ordained in February, 1811. Charleston has ten public schoolhouses, which with other school property, have a value of $5,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $290,279. In 1880 it was $277,883. The population in 1870 was 1,191. In 1880 it was 1,111.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York