History of Cherryfield, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Cherryfield is situated on the south-western border of Washington County, on both sides of the Narraguagus River. It is 80 miles from Macbias, and is on the stage-line from that place to Bangor. Columbia bounds it on the east, Deblois on the north, Millbridge and Steuben on the south, and Hancock County on the west. The western portion of the town is hilly. Burk's Hill, at the southwestern corner, and Young Tunk Mountain, near the western line, are the chief elevations. Big Tunk Mountain lies just outside the line, at the north-west of the town. Schoodiac Pond lies at the north-eastern corner of the town. Cherryfield has six valuable water-powers. At the head of the tide, at Cherryfield Village, are a grist-mill, planingmill, sash, door and blind factory, a foundry and machine-shop, a gangsaw, edge and lath mill. Other manufactures are ships, carriages, harnesses, shoes, furniture, clothing, etc. For the three years previous to 1869, the annual product in long lumber has been worth at the wharf in the village $400,000, and the shingles $30,000. Vessels ascend to Millbridge, within 5½ miles of Cherryfield Village, and lumber is floated to that point in scows and rafts. The river is open to navigation eight and one-half months of the year.

The Cherryfield Silver Mining Company have opened a silver mine in the town, and erected the necessary machinery for working it.

This town was originally No. 11 of what were known as the "Lottery Townships." It was incorporated February 9, 1816. Cherryfield was first settled in 1757 by Ichabod Wiley and Samuel Colson. The first meeting-house was built on the east side of the river, near the Campbell mill. Cherryfield Academy was incorporated in 1829, and the present Academy building was erected in 1850. Union Hall, in this building, is a credit to the town. The Academy has done much good work, but it has now an excellent substitute in Cherryfield High School. The town has ten public schoolhouses. The entire school property is valued at %5,800. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $434,483. In 1880 it was $404,576. The population in 1870 was 1,764. In 1880 it was 1,743.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York