History of Clifton, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Clifton forms the south-eastern corner of Penobscot County. It is bounded on the north by Bradley, on the west by Eddington and Holden, on the south and east by Otis, Mariaville and Amherst, towns in Hancock County. Its dimensions are about 7 miles north and. south and 5 east and west. The surface is very irregular, showing several high hills, of which Peaked Mountain, on the eastern border, is the most extensive. Others are named Little Peaked, Eagle, Bald, etc. Near the centre of the town lies Parks’ Pond, with Little Owl’s Pond near by. Fitts’ Pond is near the western border, with Snowshoe Pond near on the north. Hopkins’s Pond lies on the eastern line, Spectacle and Burnt Ponds on the southern, and Nichols’ Pond, the largest, at the north-western corner. Parks’ Mill Stream and Bradbury Brook are the chief streams. On the first is a saw-mill for long and short lumber. The outcropping rocks are granitie; the soil, clay loam. Wheat is the largest crop. The forest trees are chiefly hardwood. The number of maple trees along the roadsides is noticeable and agreeable.

The settiement of this town was commenced about 1815; Benjamin Penney, Eben Davis and a Mr. Parks were among the first settlers. The town was incorporated in 1848 under the name Maine; but this not proving satisfactory, the name was changed to the present one. The town is 12 miles east of Bangor, on the air-line stage-route to Aurora.

The Free Baptists have a commodious church, and sustain a minister. Clifton has five public schoolhouses, valued with other school property at. $1,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $58,752. In 1880 it was $44,259. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 4 per cent. The population in 1870 was 348. In 1880 it was 350.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York