History of Clinton, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Clinton lies between the Kennebec and Sebasticook Rivers, and is the most north-easterly town in Kennebee County. It is bounded on the north by Canaan and Pittsfield, in Somerset County, east by Burnham, in Waldo County south by Benton, and west by Fairfield, in Kennebee County. It contains several small streams, aside from the two rivers that bound it. The town was within the limits of the Plymouth Patent. At the time of settlement (about 1775) there were abundant forests of pine, while the Sebasticook and other streams offered ample water-power. The first political organization within the township was in the plantation of Hancock, at or before 1790, at which date the inhabitants numbered 278. It was incorporated as the one hundred and first town in Maine under the name of Clinton in 1795. Among those early in business in the place were Joseph and James North, sons of Hon. Joseph North of Augusta. They operated in lumber, and were also engaged in trade. Another of the early business men of the town was Gershom Flagg, son of Gershom Flagg, of Boston, who had charge of building Fort Halifax, at the mouth of the Sehasticook. The latter was also one of the proprietors of the Plymouth Patent, and received from this company a grant of land in the township. At the village in the south-eastern part of the town are one or more saw-mills, and a door and sash factory, a grain-mill, a mill with carding, cloth-dressing and brush-block machinery. Pishon's Ferry, on the Kenebec, is the other principal centre of business. The trunk line of the Maine Central Railroad runs through the south-eastern portion of the town. The surface of the town is quite level. The soil is a clay loam, yielding good crops of hay.

There are Methodist, Union and Baptist meeting-houses in the town. Clinton has thirteen public schoolhouses, including the high schoolhouse, valued at $4,900. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $428,812. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 13 mills on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 1,766. In 1880 it was 1,665.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York