History of Concord, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Concord, in Somerset County, is situated on the west side of the Kennebec, 20 miles north north-west of Skowhegan. The form of the town is nearly square, except that its eastern line, following the course of the river, is somewhat convex. Its area is upward of 36 square miles: The land is well covered with timber,—and rocks are not lacking. The surface from the northern line to past the middle of the township is nearly filled with three long, broad hills, or plateaus. That on the western line is most extensive, and bears the name of West Range Mountain. Midway of its length arises Peaked Hill, at whose southern base lies Spruce Pond. The middle range is shorter, and bears the name “Fletcher Mountain.” The eastern one is called “Old Bluff,” and extends diagonally from the north-east line into the centre of the township. Around its western and southern base is a series of nine or more boggy ponds. Midway on its eastern side is Jackson Pond, and near the Kennebec are Merrill and Tibbett’s Pon ds. The manufactories consist of two lumber-mills and a grist-mill. The town is bounded on the east by Bingham, situated on the opposite side of the Kerinebec; on the south is Emden, on the west Lexington, and on the north Pleasant Ridge Plantation.

The township was settled soon after the Revolution by Major Ephraim Heald, from Temple, N. H. The town is the terminus of the stage-line from North Anson, 10 miles distant. Concord was incorporated January 25, 1821, It has a Free Baptist church, and sustains a minister a portion of the time. There are in the town rrine public schoolhouses. The entire school property is valued at $1,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $91,594. In 1880 it was $95,136. The population in 1870 was 452. In 1880 it was 406.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York