History of Corinna, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Corinna, is situated in the south-western part of Penobscot County, adjoining St. Albans, in Somerset County. The bounding towns in Penobscot County are Dexter on the north, Exeter east, and Newport on the south. The town is nearly square in form, and its area is about 36 square miles. The surface is generally level, and the soil yields good average crops. The occupation of the people is principally agricultural. There arc six considerable ponds in the town, two near the north-west corner, one near each corner on the south side, and two near the middle of the town, the largest of which has an excellent water-power at its outlet, about which clusters Corinna village. There are here a saw, planing, grain and woolen mills, a door, sash and blind factory, an iron-foundry, etc. At West Corinna, on Dexter Stream are a saw-mill for short lumber and a grist-mill. There are also two or more boot and shoe shops. Corinna has eleven water-powers, four of which are on the Dexter Stream and three on Alder Stream. There are five or six saw-mills in the town, including those mentioned. The Dexter and Newport Railroad passes through the town, having a station at Corinna village and West Corinna. The appearance of the town is thrifty, with pleasant dwellings, and several streets ornamented with shade trees.

The first individual proprietor of the township was Dr. John Warren, of Boston, to whom the land was sold by Massachusetts, June 30, 1804. In December, 1816, the settlement was incorporated as a town under its present name. It has societies of the Methodist, Baptist, Free Baptist and Christian denominations. There is a neat Union church-edifice at Corinna village. The town has a good social library, incorporated in 1849. Corinna Union Academy is also located at this place. It was incorporated June 4, 1857, and has had a useful career. The number of public schoolhouses in the town is sixteen, valued at $5,000. The valuation in 1870 was $391,711. In 1880 it was $421,649. The population in 1870 was 1,513. In 1880 it was 1,503.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York