Damariscotta is situated near the centre of Lincoln
County, on the eastern side of a river of the same name. Nobleboro bounds it on the north, Bristol on the south,
Bremen on the east, and Newcastle on the west. The Damariscotta River separates it from the last, and Biscay and
Pemaquid Ponds, lying on the eastern line, divide the town from Bremen. Muddy and Little Ponds are the principal
sheets of water within the limits of the town, the first having an area of about three-fourths of a square mile.
Rocky Hill, about 150 feet in height, is the chief eminence. The surface of the town is uneven; the principal rock
is granite, the soil largely a clay loam, and fairly productive. Hay is thc chief crop.
The centre of business is Damariscotta Village, at the lower falls and head of navigation on the river. A free
bridge of 175 feet in length connects Damariscotta Village with Newcastle, near which is a station of the Knox
and Lincoln Railroad, distant 18 miles from Bath. The man ufactories consist of two saw-mills,-—one run by steam-power—
a match factory, several brickyards, a tannery, etc. The town-hail of Damariscotta is a large and elegant building
of brick of three stories, containing in the second story an excellent hail. The town is thrifty, and the houses
in the village and the country are alike in excellent repair. The inhabitants are largely a seafaring people. The
river forms a good harbor; and its shores near the village usually present busy and cheerful aspect, from the shipbuilding
that is almost constantly going on in. the warmer season. Drives up and down the river and across the country in
either direction afford some very pleasing views. This town formed a part of the Pemaquid Patent, and was first
settled about 1640 by some persons who left Pemaquid in search of new and easy fields for their enterprise. The
land titles in this town shared in those controversies with which the Pemaquid Patent was harassed. During the
Indian wars the settlers were frequently driven off by the savages, and sometimes massacred. Dam ariscotta was
a part of Nobleboro from the incorporation of that town until 1847, when it was set off and incorporated. A part
also was included in Bristol. It was named for Darnarine, the Indian sachem of Sagadahoc (called Robin Hood by
the English), but is now generally spoken of in the country-side as “Scottie.” Another esteemed citizen of a later
date was Hon. Ezra B. French, representative in Congress in 1859 and 1860. Hon. E. Wilder Farley also was a member
of Congress in the years 1853 and 1854. The first national Bank of this town has a capital of $50,000. Damariscotta
is a port of delivery in the Waldoboro District.
The Baptists, Episcopalians and Methodists have churches in town. Damariscotta sustains an excellent high-school,
the schools in the village being graded. There are seven public schoolhouses, the school property having a valuation
of $3,250. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $669,719. In 1880 it was $592,208. The rate of taxation in the
latter year was 20 mills on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 1,232. In 1880 it was 1,142.