Deblois lies on the western border of Washington County,
42 miles N.N.W. of Machias. Beddington lies on the north, Clierrvfiela on the south, an unnamed township on the
east, and another in Washington County on the west. The area is about 36 square nii]es. The surface is but moderately
uneven. Granite is the prevailing rock. The soil is a good sandy loam, free from rocks, and easily cultivated.
Grass and potatoes are the principal crops. A great variety of trees are found in the woods.
The principal streams are the east branch of the Narraguagus River, and the tributaries of this stream. Great Falls
on the East Branch are near the middle of the western side of the town, near the stageroad from Cherryfield to
Beddington. There is here a small village. A shingle-mill finds here sufficient power without the aid of a dam.
The fails extends about half a mile, with an aggregate descent of about 50 feet. Within a short distance of these
falls are thousands of acres of forest.
Deblois was a part of Bingham’s eastern “Million-acre purchase.” This township was sold by Colonel Black, the proprietor's
agent, to William W. Woodburry and Daniel C. Emery, the deed to be delivered on the payment of the purchase-money.
While it was held under this condition, the purchasers conveyed their interest to the City Bank of Portland, which
paid the balance of the purchase-money. It was subsequently disposed of by them to William Freeman, Jr., of Cherryfield.
When, in 1850, the town was incorporated, it received its name in honor of Thomas Amory Deblois, who was president
of the bank which had been the proprietor.
Deblois sent 12 men to the defense of the Union in the war of the Rebellion, of whom 2 were lost. There is a Free
Baptist society in town, who sustain worship most of the time. There is one public schoolhouse, the total school
property being valued at $1,200. The valuation in 1870 was $18,010. In 1880 it ‘*as $17,886. The rate of taxation
in the latter year was 2½ per cent. The population in 1870 was 139. In 1880 it was 105.