History of Denmark, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Denmark lies on the eastern border of the southern part of Oxford County. Fryeburg bounds it on the north-west, Brownfield on the south-west, Hiram on the south, and Bridgton and Sebago, in Cumberland County, on the north and east. The town is about 8 miles long from north to south, and 6 miles from east to west. Moose Pond, the head of which lies in the northern part of Fryeburg, extends south-westerly to the centre of Denmark, being 7 miles in length, and Little Moose Pond and Moose Stream continue in the same course to the south-west side of the town, where it discharges into Saco River, which there forms the boundary line. At the foot of Moose Pond, in the centre of the town, is Denmark Village (Denmark Post Office). This place is about 30 miles south-west of Paris, and 40 from Portland. It is on the Brownfield and Bridgton stage-line. The Brownfield station of the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad is on the opposite bank of the Saco River, on the south-eastern side of the town, whence a stage runs to Denmark Village. South of the village is Granger Pond; Great Hancock Pond lies on the south-eastern line, and toward the village, Little Hancock Pond. Beaver Pond lies one and a half miles north of the village, and Pleasant Pond on the north-eastern line. Between the two is Long Pond, with the remarkable Cold Spring just south-east of it, near the road to West Denmark. Between Denmark Village and the western line of the town are two peaks called Baston Hills. In the north-eastern part of the town is a group of eight mountains some ten miles in circumference, whose highest peak is known as Pleasant Mountain. Its summit is stated to be 2,000 feet above the sea. The view of ponds, streams, mountains, valleys, and forests from its summit is grandly beautiful. A good hotel near the top affords entertainment.

The surface of the town is generally hilly, and very stony. Granite is the principal rock, and the soil is sandy. Potatoes, corn and oats are the crops chiefly cultivated, and yield fairly. The outlets of Moose Pond and other streams furnish excellent water-powers. In the town are one mill for long lumber, six stave-mills, a sash, blind and door factory, and two grain-mills, several of which are at the centre village.

Denmark was formed from a grant made by Massachusetts to Fryeburg Academy, and two other grants to individuals, together with a strip from the town of Brownfleld. The first settlements were made in 17889. Among the original settlers were Ezra Stiles, David Porter, Nathaniel Symonds, Thomas Bragdon, Nathaniel McIntire, Ephraim Jewett, William Davis, Parson and Thomas Pingree, Elias Berry and Cyrus Ingalls, several of whom came from Andover, Mass. The early name for this region was Pequaket, from the native tribe which dwelt here. The town was incorporated, February 20, 1807. A post-office was first established here in 1819 ; and this year Elias Berry was the representative in the General Court. Among later valued citizens were Leonard Berry, Dr. Sawyer, and others.

There are Methodist, Free Baptist, Congregational and Universalist churches at various points in the town, most of which sustain a minister through the year. Denmark has seven public schoolhouses, valued with other school property at $5,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $280,316. In 1880 it was $305,185. The rate of taxation in the latter year was one and a quarter cents on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 1,069. In 1880 it was 904.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York