History of Dixfield, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Dixfleld is situated on the north side of the Androscoggin River, between this and the north-eastern border of Oxford County. The length of the town, east and west, is about 74½ miles, and north and south, 5 miles. The surface is uneven, especially north-west of the centre, where three large hills stand in a line, of which the southwestern one, consisting of two peaks known as the " Sugar Loaves," is the highest. Near the Androscoggin, a little west of the middle of the town, is a high bill called "The Bluff." In the south-eastern part of the town is a group of three mountains in a triangular position, of which the highest are Burnt Mountain and Aunt Hepsey Brown's Mountain. Webb's River forms the boundary line between this town and Mexico, on the west; Newton Brook comes down from the north across the middle of the town to the Androscoggin, and Seven Mile Brook crosses the north-eastern corner. Each of these streams has one or more powers,-tbe town having a total of seven. Newton Brook has three powers, two of which are occupied by saw-mills. On Seven Mile Brook, at East Dixfield, are two powers, upon which are a sawmill, a mill for long and short lumber, and a grist-mill. The principal power is at Dixfield Village, on Webb's River, at the south-west corner of the town. On this power there are a saw-mill, a box-factory and a grist-mill. There is also a steam saw-mill at the village. East Dixfield, and Dixfield Centre each have a cheese-factory. Other manufactures in the town are carriages, tooth-picks and cigar-lighters, flies and leaders, boots and shoes, marble work, etc.

This township was granted by Massachusetts to Jonathan Holman and others. Ezra Newton with his wife and sister, spent the winter of 1793 here. They are supposed to be the first white persons who made their habitation in the town ; but they left on the return of spring. John Marble caine in during the same season with a yoke of oxen; but no permanent settlement was made until 1795, when Marble, with Gardner Brown, Amos Trask, Levi Newton, David Torrey and John Gould came, accompanied by their families. At this time the township had become the property of Dr. Elijah Dix, of Boston; and for him at its incorporation, June 21, 1803, the town was named. Dixfield Village is beautifully situated and built. It. is 18 miles from the railroad station at Bryant's Pond, and 13 miles from the North Jay station. The stage-line between the two places runs through Dixfield, by way of the village. Each of the three villages mentioned has a post-office. The denominations which have churches here are the Congregationalists, Universalists and Free Baptists. Dixfield has nine publis schoolhouses, valued-with the connected lands-at $3,700. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $273,352. In 1860 it was 265. The population in 1870 was 1,049. In 1880 it was 913.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York