History of Eastbrook, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Eastbrook is situated a little east of the middle of Hancock County. Waltham bounds it on the west, Franklin on the south, Township No. 16, on the east, and No. 21 on the north. Eastbrook is 6 miles square, and has therefore an area of 23,040 acres. It is 18 miles north-east of Ellsworth. The name of the town is derived from the Eastbrook branch of Union River. Molasses, Scammon’s, Abram’s and Webb’s ponds are the principal bodies of water. They vary from two to three miles in length and equally in width. The town is notable for its peat deposits. The principal rock is granite. The soil yields a good crop of wheat chiefly. The plough frequently turns out a fossiliferous stone composed of small shells imbedded in sand or clayey slate. Bull Hill Mountain is the highest elevation of land.

The first settlements were made in 1800, by Joseph Parsons, Robert Dyer, Samuel Bragdon and John E. Smith. The first mill, and also the first framed-house, were built by Joseph Parsons. Francis Usher Parsons was the first child.

There are now in the town two saw-mIlls for lumber, a stave-mill and a shingle-mill. Eastbrook contributed 17 men to the Union cause in the war of the Rebellion, of whom 9 were lost. The soldier’s monument is a square marble pillar. There is one church-edifice, occupied as a Union house. Eastbrook has four public schoolhouses, valued at $800. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $39,288. In 1880 it was $63,681. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 15 mills on the dollar. The population in 1870 was—including townships Nos. 9, 10 and 13,— 187. In 1880 the same have a population of 289.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York