History of Eddington, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Eddington, in Penobscot County, lies on the eastern bank of the Penobscot, 5 miles E.N.E. of Bangor. It is on the Air Line stage-route to Aurora, in Hancock County. Bradley bounds it on the north, Clifton on the east, Holden on the south and Veazie and Orono on the west, separated by Penobscot River. The town is irregular in form, curving away from the river south-eastward to a distance of about 10 miles, while its width is scarcely 3 miles. The area is about 9,000 acres. The surface is uneven and in some parts broken. A broad-topped hill called Black Cap Mountain in the south-eastern part, is the highest elevation. Holbrook and Davis Ponds, having a broad connecting stream, lie on the western line of the southern portion of the town; and Nichols Pond lies upon the eastern line near the middle of the town. The two first are about 1 mile square, the last 3 miles. The outlet stream of the two first, connecting with the last, has a total fall of 45 feet in three-fourths of a mile. On this, at East Eddington, are saw, shingle and grist mills, and a clothes-pin, spooi and axe factories. Other manufactures of the town are bricks, coopers-ware, carriages, etc. The nearest market and railway station are at Bangor. Eddington Bend, on the Penobscot, is the other village. Both villages contain many tasteful dwellings, and the streets are numerously set with shade trees.

This township, at the recommendation of Congress, was granted to Jonathan Eddy and nineteen others, in consideration of their services and sufferings in connection with the Revolution. They were residents of Nova Scotia, but fled thence in 1776, on account of the persecution of the British. This grant was made in 1785, and the place was immediately settled. The town was incorporated in 1811, taking its name from Col. Eddy, the principal settler.

The Methodists have a neat church at Eddington Bend, and the Universalists, at East Eddington. The number of public schoolhouses in the town is seven, and the total school property is valued at $1,800. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $165,235. In 1880 it was $128,767. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2¼ per cent. The population in 1870 was 776. In 1880 it was 746.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York