History of Edmunds, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Edmunds lies near the south-eastern extremity of Washington. County on the western side of Cobscook Bay. Dennysville and Pembroke bound it on the north, Marion on the West, and Whiting and Trescott on the south. The area is 17,696 acres. The surface of the town is moderately uneven. Denny’s River forms the boundary line on the north-east side of the town, and Cathance River flows east across the northern part. The latter has three considerable falls, known re— spectively as the Mill Seat, The Flume,—.ernbracing three pitches,—and Great Works. The last has mills. Cathanee Lake, situated about ten miles north-west, is the reservoir for this stream, and has an area of six or seven square miles. Bull’s Meadow Brook, Burnt. Cove Stream, Little Falls Stream, each has one or more powers, hut without much improvement. Those on the last are the Rock, the Falls, and a tidepower near the mouth of the river. There is at present only one considerable mill in the town. Cattle raising and sea.faring constitute the chief occupation of the people. The north-eastern part of the town is most numerously settled. The nearest post-office is Dennysville.

The town was formerly Number 10; and was purchased of Massachusetts in 1786 by Col. Aaron Hobart, of Abington, Mass., for $2,000. Rufus Putnam, of Boston, was the chief surveyor. James Neil an Irishman who deserted from the Bridish army, was the first settler, building his log house in 1775. He had shot two of his pursuers, but in 1793 he removed into the British Dominion of New Brunswick. Nathaniel Hobart, a son of the proprietor, came and built a mill in 1787, but after following the lumber business ten years, he sold it to Phineas Bruce, an eminent Machias lawyer. Many had settled in the town for a few years, then moved to other places. In 1792, Isaac Hobart, another son of the first proprietor, built a house and mill. On the death of his father he purchased the wild lands belonging to the heirs, and became owner of three-fourths of the township. His three sons, Aaron, Isaac, and Benjamin, succeeded to his lands. Samuel Runnels and family came in 1796. He had been a soldier of the Revolution.

The Methodists have a church in this town, and usually sustain a minister. Edmunds has four public schoolhouses, which, with other school property, are valued at $1,000. The value of the estates in 1870 was $86,418. In 1880 it was $72,331. The population in 1870 was 448. In 1880 it was 445.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York