Elliotsville is situated in the southern part of Piscataquis
County. It is bounded on the north by Greenville and. the Bowdoin College grant, east by township Number Seven,
Ninth Range, west by Shirley, and south by Howard and Monson. Within its limits are two lofty emirenees, Boarstone
and Peaked Mountains; in its south-eastern part lies Ship Pond; Wilson's Stream crosses its south-west corner,
there receiging the Little Wilson. On these united are sonic good mill privileges; while above on Little Wilson
is one of the most remarkable cataracts of the east. This is a fall of 80 feet perpendicular. Clapboard cuts have
sometimes been driven over this fall, but many of them would come up in the stream below, split and quartered from
end to end. The township has still a fair amount of pine and spruce timber, and some good agricultural soil; but
there is much waste land.
The first grant in this town was a mile in width on the west side to the Massachusetts Medical Society. The next
grant was of half a township to the heirs of William Vaughan (a leading officer of the Louisburg expedition of
1745) for services rendered the State by him, the heirs selecting the northern half of this township on the east
of the Medical Society's tract. Four thousand acres being granted to the Saco Free Bridge Company, this also was
located in the township south of the Vaughan tract. Two other small parcels in the south part on either side of
Ship Pond were purchased by Elliot G. Vaughan and a Mr. Watson. Eventually, E. G. Vaughan became chief owner of
the territory of the heirs of that surname in town. Joseph Sawyer, from Buxton, was the first to move his family
in. E. G. Vaughan built a saw-mill on the Little Wilson Stream, and E. T. Bridge built a gristmill on the Wilson.
Hoping to hasten settlements thereby, he procured a town incorporation for the township in 1835, giving it his
own Christian name. A county road was opened to Nonson, school districts established, and a school fund secured
by the sale of the reserved lands, but the incorporation proved premature. The inhabitants decreased, and in 1858,
in response to their petition, the act of incorporation was repealed; since which time the township has been without
an independent civil organization. The population in 1870 was 42. In 1880 it was 55. Valuation in 1880, $11,020.