History of Etna, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Etna is a small town in the south-western part of Penobscot County, 17 miles west of Bangor. The Maine Central Railroad runs through the north-eastern part. Stetson and Levant bound it on the north, Carmel on the east, Dixmont on the south, and Plymouth on the west. The surface is quite broken, but the soil is, for the most part, a good, light loam, producing fine crops of potatoes and hay. Pine, spruce and hemlock are the principal forest trees. Etna and Carmel Pond lies on the north-eastern corner of the two towns whose names it bears. Its area is about three-fourths of a square mile. The town is drained by several small strearns,-Kinsley and Soadabscook Streams being the largest. Kinsley Stream furnishes some waterpowers, two of which have been occupied by a saw-mill and a shinglemill. The pursuits of the people are chiefly agricultural.

The buildings are generally in fair condition; and a few maples and elms along the roadside here give token of good taste and public spirit. Etna (P. 0.), near the railway station, has the largest collection of houses. The other host-offices are Etna Centre and South Etna.

The first settlements in this town were made in 1807 by Dr. Benj. Friend, Phineas Friend, James Harding, Dennis and Reuben Deimett, and Bela, Asa and Calvin Sylvester and others. At this time General John Crosby, of Hampden, owned the township; and it was known as Crosbytown until about the time of its incorporation in 1820.

The Baptist house is the only church-edifice in the town. Etna has eight schoolhouses valued, with appurtenances, at $2,600. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $154,339. In 1880 it was $162,209. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 22 mills on the dollar. Tho population in 1870 was 844. In 1880 it had increased to 895

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York