Fayette is the most westerly town in Kennebee County.
It is bounded on the east by Mount Vernon and Readfield, south by Wayne, west by Livermore, in Androscoggin County,
and north by Chesterville in Franklin County. The first settlement in the township was about the year 1779. Seven
thousand acres of its territory were granted by the State of Massachusetts to Robert Page and associates. Its early
name was "Starling Plantation"; and in 1790 it had 166 inhabitants. In 1795 it was incorporated as a
town under the name of the noble French officer who gave the nation such efficient aid (luring the Revolution.
Among the early settlers were Brmjamin Clifford, William Morrill, Joel Jedkins, Nathan Lane, James Bly, James Barnford,
Elkins Chase, Stephen French, Tilton Richards, Eleazer Goodwin, Enoch Watson, Perley Dow, Jeremiah Tuck, Cyrus
Baldwin, John and Hezekiah Judkins, Benjamin Bodge, Mathew Pettengill, Zachariah Pike, John Berry, and Joseph Anderson.
There are now in town about 60 persons over seventy years of age.
The town is much broken by hills, and there are several large ponds in and around it. The highest hills are Oak,
Pine, Baldwin, and Berry's. The scenery from these hills is very fine, from the agreeable mingling of ponds, hills,
meadows, and forests in the vicinity. Parker Pond at the north-east, Crotched Pond at the east, Lovejoy's and David's
in the north, are the largest of these. Others are Tilton's, Lane's and Hale's Brook ponds.
The principal business centre is Fayette Mills, near the south-east corner, where the Dunn Edge Tool Company do
a large business in the manufacture of axes, scythes, and other cutting implements. In other parts of the town
are manufactured long and short lumber, cabinet work, dowels, and boxes and measures. There is some granite in
town, also pyritiferous mica-schist, and slate. The soil is generally good, and the town is noted for its dairy
products, and its fine-wooled sheep. The post-offices are Fayette, North and South Fayette, and Fayette Corner.
The town is situated about 18 miles from Augusta, on the stage-line between Readfield Depot and Chesterville. The
Farmington branch of the Maine Central Railway runs through the adjoining town on the west, some 2 miles from the
line; and the Readfield Depot on the east is about 7 miles distant.
The Baptists and Methodists each have a church in the town; and there is a public library of about 1,000 volumes.
It has nine public schoolhouses, estimated to be worth $2,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $282,697. In
1880 it was $274,592. The population at the same date was 909. By the census of 1880 it is given at 765.