History of Franklin, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Franklin, in Hancock County, is situated at the head of Taunton Bay, a prolongation of Frenchmanís Bay. It is 11 miles from Ellsworth, on the Bangor and Cherryfield stage-line. There are several ponds, whose streams furnish considerable water-power. it has nine lumber-mills, two grist-mills, a tannery and three granite quarries. The material wealth of t.he town is mainly in its waterpower and its granite. The granite is porphyritic, hut splits well, and is handsome when hammered. Few in the town live exclusively by farming. The soil is coarse and rocky, but under good cultivation is fairly productive. It is better for grazing thaii for annual crops. Nearly one-third of the hay is cut on the salt marshes, whence it is raked, and boomed in as the tide flows. Cranberry culture has received some attention, with successful results. Franklin is said to have shipped more spars, railroad ties, and ship timber than any other town of its size in this or in Washington County.

Franklin was originally plantation No. 9. It was incorporated in 1825, being named in honor of Dr. Franklin. It was first occupied by the French at Butlerís Point. Moses Butler and Mr. Wentworth came in 1764, and are supposed to be the first English settlers. The next were Joseph Bragdon, Mr. Hardison, Mr. Hooper and Abram Donnell. On Butlerís Point are apple trees upwards of one hundred years old.

The town furnished 120 men to the Union cause in the war of the Rebellion, paying bounty to the amount of $12,280. The Methodists and Baptists each have a church in the town. Franklin has nine public school houses, and the school property is valued at $5,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $168,348. In 1880 it was $178,220. The population in 170 was 1,042. In the census of 1880 it was 1,102.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York