History of Georgetown, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Georgetown is an island and a town. It forms the southeastern part of Sagadahoc County, lying between Sheepscot River and the mouth of the Kennebec. Westport and Woolwich lie on the north, Arrowsic and Phipsburg on the west. Its length, north and south, is about 9 miles, and its average width nearly 2 miles. The long narrow harbor called “Robinhood’s Cove,” penetrates the island from the north past the middle of the island. The principal settlement known as Georgetown Centre, is near the head of this cove. Sagadahoc Bay penetrates the island about one and half a miles in the opposite direction. Seal Cove is on the west of this bay. On the eastern side of tht island are Harmon’s Harbor and Five-Island Harbor, each having a small settlement. Back River. having some current from the Kennebee, separates Georgetown from Arrowsic. At the north-east is a passage between the shore and some islands called Little Hurlgate. McMahan’s and the Five Islands lie on the Sheepscot side, Stage and Salter’s Islands on the ocean, and Long and Marr’s Islands in Kennehec River. There is considerable salt marsh in the southern and the north-western part of the town. There are four small ponds on the island, and in the south-east, Great Pond, lying near the shore, has a wide connection with the sea. There are several excellent tide-powers, one of which at the centre is improved, where there is a saw, shingle and grist mill. There is alSo a carding and shingle mill on the outlet to Nichol’s Pond. This village is connected with Bath by a stage-line. Its nearest railroad station is Nequasset, in Woolwich. Georgetown is also in the course of the steamboat-line between Bath and Boothbay. Perhaps one half the territory of the town is good for tillage and grazing. The inhabitants are largely engaged in the fisheries and in the merchant service.

The town formerly embraced the several islands at the mouth of the Kennebec, together with what are now the towns of Phipsburg, Bath, West Bath, Woolwich and Arrowsic. It includes now only one island, formerly called Parker’s Island. This was purchased of the natives in 1650 by one John Parker, who was the first occupant after 1668. Yet it has been thought by some that a portion of Popham’s Colony formed a settlement here. The island is at present held under Parker’s title, some of his posterity still being residents and land proprietors. The Indian name of the island was Rascohegan, with various spellings. The southern part is the locality known to early voyagers as Sagadahoc. The first Indian war swept away whatever inhabitants there were, and no permanent re-settlement was made until about 1730. It not included in the incorporation of 1716, hut in that of 1788.

The post-offices are at the Centre and North Georgetown. Each of these places, and the harbor on the east have a church. The Centre and Harbor have Free Baptist churches, and North, a Methodist. Georgetown has nine public schoolhouses, valued with the lots at $2,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $168,500. In 1880 it wa.s $147,824. The population in 1870 was 1,135. In 1880 it was 1,080.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York