History of Gouldsborough, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Gouldsborough occupies the south-eastern extremity of Hancock County, lying between Frenchman’s and Gouldsborough bays. The town also embraces Stave, Ironbound, Porcupine, Horn’s, Turtle and Schoodic islands. Gouldsborough is 21 miles east of Ellsworth, and is on the Shore stage-line. The area is about 30,000 acres. Forbes’s and Jones’s ponds are the chief bodies of water. The principal eminence is Mount Cromer, 600 feet in height. The surface of the town is much broken, abounding in rocky bluffs consisting of granite penetrated by veins of galena, zinc and copper. There is also greenstone and syenite. At Grindstone Point is an immense deposit of metamorphic or siliceous slate, which might prove excellent material for grindstones.

The soil is clay loam and gravelly loam; but one-third of the area is unsuitable for cultivation. The principal crops consist of wheat and potatoes. The manufactories consist of a flour-mill, two grist-mills, a shingle, and a spool-lumber mill, a saw-mill, and a lobster-canning establishment. There are also six incorporated mining companies, and two unincorporated, but in operation. The ore mined is principally galena, mixed with sulphurets of copper and iron. The centres of business are Gouldsborough village, West and South Gouldsborough, Winter and Prospect harbors.

There were squatters in the town as early as 1700. On Ash’s Point are the relics of an old French fortification. The so called Indian dykes are also objects of curiosity. The first settlers were from Saco and vicinity. Their names were Libby, Fernald, Ash and Willey. The first male child was Robert Ash, and the first female Mary Libby. An old inhabitant says: “Nathan Jones and Thomas Hill settled here in 1764.” Maj. Gen. David Cobb, one of General Washington’s aids, and later, judge of the Court of Common Pleas, of Hancock County, resided here for many years.

Gouldsborough was incorporated in 1789; being named in honor of Robert Gould, one of the original proprietors. That part of No. 7 known as “West Bay Stream,” was annexed in 1870. The town furnished 167 men to the Government during the war of the Rebellion. The amount of town bounty was $27,460. There are 12 persons in Gouldsborough who are over eighty years of age. The town has two churches, both Union. There are twelve public schoolhouses, and the school property is valued at $6,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $224,690. In 1880 it was $225,244. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 2 per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,709. In the census of 1880 it was 1,824.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York