History of Hermon, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Hermon is an excellent agricultural town in the southern part of Penobscot County. It is bounded on the east by Bangor, north by Glenburn and Levant, west by Carmel, and south by Hampden. The area is 24,860 acres. The surface is rolling, but not hilly. The highest elevation is Kimball Hill, having an altitude of 400 feet. The rocks are of granite, slate, and an iron bearing rock. The soil is heavy and gravelly, but productive. Hay is the most valuable crop. Hermon Pond, having an area of about one and a half square miles, lies in the south-west part of the town, and feeds both the Kenduskeag Stream, running northwards and the Soadabscook running southward. Georges Pond, a pretty sheet in the southern part, is a reservoir of the Wheeler Stream. The water-powers are on this stream and Cold Brook. The manufactories are a barrel-factory, producing 4,000 barrels a year, a paper-bor factory, and a cheese-factory producing three tons of cheese daily. The principal centre of business is Hermon Village, in the centre of the town. The Maine Central Railroad passes through the southern part, east and west, having a station at Hermon Pond, in the western part, and another on Wheeler Stream. toward the eastern side. The post-offices are at Hermon Pond, Hermon Centre and North Hermon. The town is notable for its good roads, and the good condition of public and private buildings. The town-hall is a wooden building 30 by 48 feet in ground dimensions, two stories high, and painted white. The upper story is occupied by the Masons. There is a public library of one hundred volumes. The public entertainments are mostly of home production, consisting of sociables, sewing circles and dramatic entertainments. Among the esteemed citizens of the past we are able to mention only James Patten, John Kimball, Rufus Robinson and Rufus Robinson, Jr.

The two church-edifices in town belong to the Free Baptists and Universalists. Hermon has thirteen public schoolhouses, valued, with appurtenances, at $3,050. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $294,189. In 1880 it was $399,999. The rate of taxation in the latter year was one and a half per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,489. In 1880 it was 1,394.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York