Harrington is a seaboard town in the south-western
part of Washington County, 24 miles west of Machias. It is on the stageline from Bangor to Eastport and Calais.
The town is penetrated by Pleasant and Flat Bays and. Harrington River. The streams are Great Marsh Stream and
Cole’s Brook. The eastern part of the town forms a long peninsula between Pleasant Bay and Barrington River, and
at the end is Ripley’s Neck. On the river, near the northern part of the town, are shipyards where many small vessels
are built. According to Williams on istory of Maine, Vol. ii. p. 576], the town embraces eleven inslands, viz.:
Bobear, Pond, Trafton’s, Dyer’s, Knox, Flint, Gourd, Strout, Jordan’s Delight, Ship-stern, Four Acre Island, and
The rock in this town is granitic in character. The surface of the land is level, the soil of sandy loam, and not
generally fertile. The principal crops are wheat and potatoes. Spruce, fir and birch are the forest trees. At the
village, a few elms and maples along the streets add to its attractiveness. The public and private dwellings are
generally in good repair. The towli-hall is two stories in height, the lower one being occupied for schoolrooms.
The village has a library of 300 volumes. An obelisk of white marble, in a conspicuous spot, forms the memorial
to, the fallen soldiers of the Union belonging in this town. The roads in the town are very good, and there is
a stone bridge 150 feet in length. There are three shipbuilding firms in the town, a boat-builder, a sail-maker,
a boot and shoe manufacturer, and a steam-mill for meal, flour and lumber.
Harrington was No. 5 of the six second-class townships east of Union River granted by Massachussets in 1762 to
an association of petitioners. The settlement was commenced shortly after; and on June 17, 1796, it was incorporated
under its present name. The Baptists and Methodists each have a church in the town. The number of public schoolhouses
is nine, valued, with appurtenances, at $3,300. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $249,203. In 1880 it was $295,878.
The rate of taxation in 1880 was 2 3-10 per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,142. In 1880 it was 1,290.