Hope is situated on the north-eastern side of Knox
County, on the eastern tributary of the St. George’s River. Canrden bounds it on the south-east, Appleton on the
north-west, Union on the southwest, and Searsinont and Lincoinville, in ‘Waldo County, on the northeast. The Lake,
Lermond, Hobbs, Southern Hobbs, and Fish are the names of the ponds. The first, lying in the western part of the
town, has an area of two square miles. On the outlets of these ponds are several water-powers. There are three
considerable elevations of land, —Mount Hatchet near the centre, and two others in the northern part. The surface
of the town is generally uneven. The soil is a rich loam, and other agricultural requirements are of the best character.
Hope Village and South Hope are the principal centres of business. The manufactures at the former place are boots
and shoes, sleigh-tops, cider vinegar, staves, etc. At the latter place the manufactures are sash, doors and furniture,
lumber, staves and heads, carriages, mowingmachines, meal and flour. Hope is 14 miles distant from Rockland and
20 from Belfast, which are the nearest railway stations.
The settlement of the town began about 1782. It was a tract of land which had been purchased by Charles Barrett,
of New Ipswich, N. H., who sold to the settlers. The plantation was from him called Barrettstown. Reuben and Simon
Barrett, Reuben Safford, Enoch and Walter Phulbrick, Samuel and Daniel Bartlett, William Howett, Sampson and Stephen
Sweetland, Micah Hobb, and Fergus McLain were among the early settlers, coming from New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
The town was incorporated under its present name in 1804. It originally had a territory of 33 square miles, but
in 1843 2½ miles on the north-west side were annexed to Appleton; taking from it St. George’s River and
two small villages.
Hope has two Universalist societies, and one each of the Methodists and Baptists. There are seven public schoolhouses,
and the total school property of the town is valued at $3,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $251,650. In
1880 it was $211,985. The population in 1870 was 907. In 1880 it was 830.