History of Howard, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Howard, incorporated a town in 1880, is situated on the west of Sebec Lake, in the southern part of Piscataquis County. It has an area of 23,040 acres, including portions of Ship Pond and Sebec Lake. The southern and the north—eastern portion of the township are mountainous, but there is much good farming land. Granite Mountain, on the western shore of Sebec Lake, contains an inexhaustible quantity of granite, said to he the finest found in the State. General A. Davis is the first known proprietor. At present 1,000 acres in the south-west corner, near North Guilforf Mills, are known as the Harris tract. Adjoining this are 960 acres set off for the public reserves. Near the south-east corner is the Osgood tract. and in the north-east corner are 4,000 acres owned by the Howard Slate Company. The Messrs. Adams also hold a considerable quantity. No part has been opened for settlement; yet there have been settlers for about fifty years, and there are now some thirty resident families. There is a saw-mill in operation on Greenwood Falls. A schoolhouse in the western part is also sometimes used for religious meetings. The Willimantic Thread Company of Connecticut, have recently purchased land in the township, and have erected a mill upon the north bank of Wilson’s Stream for splitting out spool-timber.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York