History of Island Falls, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Island Falls is a town in Aroostook County, 27 miles south-west of Houlton, on the stage road from that place to Patten. Dyer Brook Plantation bounds it on the north, and Crystal Plantation on the west. The form of the town is a square, and the area 22,040 acres. Maple, beech, birch, hemlock, spruce, fir, pine, cedar and juniper are abundant. The prevailing rock is of a granitic nature. The soil is chiefly alluvial, with some rich intervals. Wheat, oats and potatoes are the crops principally cultivated. The most notable elevation is a precipitous mass of rock known as "Granite Bluff." On the eastern border of the town are Mattawamkeag Lake-8 miles long and 4 wide; and Pleasant Lake, of about one half this size. Smaller Caribou Lake is on the southern border. The streams are Mattawamkeag River, Fish Stream, Dyer, Sly and Alder brooks, tributary to the river, which empties into Mattawamkeag Lake. The longest bridge yet built in the town is 200 feet; the roads are very good. The powers are on the west branch of the river, and on Cold and Dyer brooks. The two first are improved. In all, there are three mills for the manufacture of long and short lumber, and two grist mills. Corn brooms are also manufactured and the town has a stone cutter, a boat-builder, and a painter. There is a circulating library of 150 volumes.

Island Falls was first settled in 1843, by Levi Sewall and Jesse Craig, from Farmington. It was incorporated in February, 1872, taking its name from the principal fall, which has an island at the verge midway of the stream.

There is a Congregationalist society here which sustains a clergyman. The town hail has a school on the first floor, and a pretty hall on the second, used for town and religious meetings, and social entertainments. Island Falls has three public schoolhouses; and the school property including lands is valued at $2,700. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $37,904. In 1880 it was $47,229. The population in 1870 was 183. In 1880 it was 236.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York