Jackson is situated in the northern part of Waldo County,
15 miles N.N.W of Belfast. It is bounded on the east by Monroe, south by Brooks, west by Thorndike, and north by
Dixmont, in Penobscot County. In cliniensions it is 5½ miles in length from north to south, and 5 miles
wide from east to west. The surface is very much broken; and in the north-western and southern part are manyhills.
The principal streams are the Hadley Brook, and its tributary, Moulton Brook, which form a branch of Marsh River.
The manufactures consist of long and short lumber (two mills), a carriage factory, etc. The village is connected
with Belfast by a stage-line.
The first settlement in this town was made in 1800 by Benjamin Cates, of Gorham, from whom Cates’ Hill has its
name. Joel Rich arrived the next year, and settled on a hill which has since borne his name. Other early settlers
were Nicholas Hamlin, Benjamin Skillings, John Cates, George, Elisha and Ebenezer Morton, and Nathaniel Knight,
most of whom were from Gorham. First Minister, S. Warren.
The town was a part of the Waldo Patent. Gen. Henry Knox, who soon after the Revolution became proprietor of this
patent, sold a few lots to settlers, then disposed of all that remained to Israel Thorndike, David Sears and William
Prescott. Thorndike was a citizen of Boston, but, having a taste for agricultural pursuits, he cleared up and cultivated
a large farm near the centre of the township, which he stocked with horses, kine, sheep and poultry, and set out
an orchard of 500 apple trees. The place was long after his death known as “Great Farm,” but has since deteriorated.
The plantation was organized in 1812, and incorporated as a town in 1818. It was probably named in honor of Geii.
Henry Jackson, a soldier of the Revolution. Ezra Abbot, D.D., LL.D., was a native of the town.
The Congregationalists and Free Baptists each have a church in town. The number of schoolhouses is ten; and the
value of the school property is $3,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $176,604. In 1880 it was $159,315.
The population in 1870 was 707. In 1880 it was 682.