Jefferson is situated in the northern part of Lincoln
County, on ponds forming the heads of Damariseotta and Dyer’s Rivers and Great Meadow Brook. The chief of these
is Damariscotta Lake, which separates the town from Nobleboro, and the Great Bay, a continuation of the lake lying
wholly in the north-eastern part of the town. About the head of this pond is some very pleasant scenery; and a
sail the length of the lake is charming. Dyer’s Long Pond lies in the centre of the town, and sends its waters
through the town of Newcastle to Sheep scot River. Pleasant Pond lies on the western border, partly in the town
of Whitefield. Damariscotta Lake, including Great Bay, has an area of about 10 square miles; Long Pond 1.20 square
miles, and Pleasant Pond, 1.10 square miles. There are several smaller sheets of water.
The surface of the town is hilly. The principal occupation of the people is agriculture. There is at East .Jefferson,
on Damariscotta Lake, a flourishing cheese factory. At this place there are also lumber, stave and shingle mills,
a wooden pump and a carriage factory, etc. At West Jefferson are a shingle-mill and potash factory. Jefferson and
South Jefferson are the other centres. Jefferson is on the stage line from Augusta to Waldoboro, and is 24 miles
from the former, and 20 miles from Wiscasset. Newcastle adjoining on the south has the nearest railroad station.
The town was settled a few years previous to the Revolutionary war. John Ball, John Weeks, Ezra Parker, Janathan
Fish, Jonathan Eames, Jonathan Linscott, Joseph Jones and Thomas Kennedy were the first settlers. Jefferson was
originally included with Whitefield in the territory known as Ballstown, from the first settler, who came in 1770.
Many of the first settlers came from Boothbay and Woolwich. The town was included in the “Brown Claim,” for which
see Nobleborough. There were difficulties between the proprietors and settlers, which were adjusted by referees,
and titles obtained from Massachusetts in 1814. The price paid by those who settled before 1784, was 13 cents per
acre; by those who settled later, 30 cents.
Alphonso Ross, Esq., of the “Boston Advertiser,” is a native of this town. The churches are the first second and
third,—all Baptist. Jefferson has fourteen public schoolhouses. The total expenditure for schools in the year ending
April 1, 1879, was $2,661. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $420,003. In 1880, it was $459,237. The population
in 1870 was 1,821. In 1880 it was 1,590.