History of Kingfield, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Kingfield is situated near the middle of the eastern side of Franklin County. it is 7 miles long from east to west, and 5½ miles from north to south. It is bounded on the north by Jerusalem Plan. tation, west by Mount Abraham Township, south by Freeman, and east by Lexington, in Somerset County. Carrabasset River runs southward through the town, and is joined in the southern part by the South Branch, coming front the west. The Carrabasset is extremely rapid. affording within the town at least twenty good and available powers for mills. The northern part of the town is very mountainous, and affords much fine scenery. The principal peaks in Kingfield are Vose, Black, Owl’s Head, and Blucherry mountains. These belong to the group of Mount Abraham, which stands in the adjoining township on the west. The forest trees are principally rock-maple, birch and spruce. The principal sheets of water are Tuft’s, Grindstone, and Dutton Ponds, having areas of 100, 10 and 50 acres respectively. The soil is sandy to a caonsderable extent, yet along the streams there are some excellent interrals. The principal crop is hay. Kingfield village is situated on Carrabasset River in the south-western part of the town. Kingfield has a lumber and shingle-mill, and a grist-mill. Other manufactures are carriages, rakes, axes, saw-horses, etc. The village is 20 miles from Farinington in a northerly direction. The station of the Sandy River railroad in Strong is about 12 miles distant.

Kingfield was formerly Plantation No. 3, Range 1, of Bingham’s Purchase, and was surveyed by Solomon Adams in 1808. Settlements commenced a year or two earlier, the pioneers being a Mr. Blanchard, frotii Weymouth, Mass., Rev. Nathaniel Gilbert, of Kingston, Eben Pillsbury, Solomon Stanley, Joseph Longley, Benjamin Foster, William Trash, Charles Pike and others. The town was incorporated in 1816, being named in honor of William King, the first governor of Maine, who was a large proprietor and a temporary resident.

The Methodists, Free Baptists and Universalists each have a church in this town. Kingfield has three public schoolhouses; and the school property is valued at $2,800. The village schools are graded. The valuation of real estate in 1870 was $110,910. In 1880 it was $119,095. The population in 1870 was 560. In 1880 it was 454.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York