History of Kingsbury, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Kingsbury is situated in the south-western part of Piscata quis County, having Mayfield, in Somerset County, for Its western boundary. Its other boundaries are the Piscataquis County towns of Blanchard, on the north, Abbot and Parkman on the east, and Wellington on the south. The principal ponds are Kingsbury, 2 miles long by 1 wide, Foss, about 1 mile each way, and Tilton Pond, somewhat smaller. There are two fine Cascades in town, and the streams are well-stocked with speckled trout. The town is hilly, the principal rock is slate, and the soil, where cultivated, is mostly a clay loam, good for potatoes and grass. The trees usual in the region flourish here; and the primeval forest still stands to such an extent that one road passes through it for 9 miles without encountering a single opening. There is a saw-mill and grist-mill, built in 1835 by Judge Kingsbury, (now owned by the Hiltonís) on the outlet of Kingsbury Pond. This stream forms the south branch of the Piscataquis River, while the north branch passes near the north-eastern part of the town. The stage-road from Athens to Moosehead Lake passes through Kingsbury. The village is 20 miles from Dover, and halt the distance from the station of the Bangor and Piscataquis railway in Abbot.

The township was a part of the Bingham Purchase. It was lotte?? by Eleazer Coburn, Esq., and in 1833 was purchased by Hon. Sanford Kingsbury, of Gardiner, for the sum of $4,000. William Hilton and his brother the next year made openings, and in 1836 there were so many settlers that the town was incorporated under the name of its honorable proprietor. rrhere are now a store, hotel, mechanic-shops, and the mills alread mentioned at Kingsbury Village. There is a church organization of the persuasion called Buzzellites. Kingsbury has two public schoolhouses, valued at $200. The valuation of real estate in 1870 was $27,327. The rate of taxation in 1880 was one cent and six mills. The population in 1870 was 174. By the census of 1880 it was 198.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York