Lamoine, in the southern part of Hancock County, emoraces
the peninsula lying between Jordan's River on the west and Skilling Bay on the east. The area is about 11,000 acres.
The soil is good, and could easily be made very productive. The inhabitants are chiefly devoted to coasting and
fishing. The yearly catch by vessels from this town at the Grand Banks is stated at 8,000 quintals; of Magdalen
herring, 100,000 boxes; the aggregate market value of both being about $55,000.
The post-offices are Lamoine, and North and East Lamoine.
An object of curious interest is Blunt's Pond, which has a surface of 30 acres at a height above the sea of 300
feet. The colossal embankment which surrounds it suggests the work of the mound-builders of the Mississippi Valley.
It is situated upon a height of "loess or bluff formation" that extends in a northerly direction across
the country. Along the seashore of this town occur extensive deposits of clam shells, in which human bones have
been found. In one of these beds, a few years since, Capt. A. G. Berry found a brass kettle, an axe, and a stone
file. Capt. Berry has also in his possession the account-book of the first settler, also that of Dr. Payson, arid
some of the French deeds executed by Madame Gregorée. One dated in 1788 is signed:
"Bartholomy De Gregoire"
"Maria Therese de Gregorie, nee de law the Cadillack."
Lamoine was set off from Trenton and incorporated in 1870. It was named for Lamoine, an early French resident,
who at one time owned a large tract of land west of Skilling's River. A colony of French made a transient settlement
on Trenton Point at an early day, and two of the colonists, Delaittre and Desisles, remained permanent residents.
According to the statement of Hon. W. King, the first settlement at Lainoine, formerly Trenton, was made in 1774
at Gillpatrie's Point, by the individual whose name it bears. Captain Berry states that "Capt. Isaac Gillpatric,
with six sons and two daughters, from Biddeford, and a son-in-law, Edward Berry, from Londonderry, N. H., were
the first settlers." Both these authorities say that the French came subsequently to Giilpatric.
The two church-edifices of Lamoine both belong to the Baptists. The town has four public schoolhouses, and the
school property is valued at $5,200. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $142,449. In 1880 it was $148,333. The
population in 1870 was 612. In the census of 1880 it was 751.